1899 Remington Lee

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: 1899 Remington Lee

Post by butlersrangers »

Dang, 'reincarnated', you read my mind and anticipated my scheme! I've been looking at gun shows for a spare No. 5 forearm, nose-cap, and rod.

The Remington-Lee (model 1899) and No. 5 Rolling Block use the same bayonet.

(Well, I am not exactly jumping to tie up $700 in 'project parts'!)Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I have an 1885 Rem-Lee Navy - one of the 280 issued to the California Naval Battalion, as described in Gene's book. Can take any measurements you wish/need. The barrel channel will be way too big, of course. I was thinking more of using a Krag stretcher piece.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Remington-Lee tool is relatively common and also works with the No. 5 Rolling-Block.

The nose-cap for the Rem-Lee and R-B seem identical and also possibly the 'cleaning rod'. I don't know if the R-B forearm is long enough to patch a Remington-Lee 'cut-down'.

(Note - Remington barrel-bands have "U" on left-side, contrary to U.S. Armory practice).ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Remington-Lee and #5 Rolling-Block hand-guards, rear barrel-bands, and sights are clearly different.

I laid a tape measure alongside my #5 Rolling-Block forearm, but, do not have an 1899 Remington-Lee to compare dimensions.

FWIW - My Rolling-Block measures 19 3/16 inches from forearm 'shoulder' for rear barrel-band to muzzle. My photo makes it look a bit longer - illusion.ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I would love to borrow an A3 from you Paul.... IF you WERE here! I looked at Gunbroker, but they are all way out of my price reach. I had a chance to get a Smith Corona or Remington (there were several) at Camp Perry during Nationals week last year, but I didn't have the money and passed. Then, this last July, they didn't have any. I'm looking to keep it under a thousand. I know a guy who has several to sell, but they are all repaired parade rifles that had had the magazine cutoffs welded (he fixes them to working order). Legal for CMP use, but not appealing to me. I'll keep my ears to the ground though...

In other news I may just have a 1903A3 for you to shoot at Perry. Number one son is getting hitched in June and I am going to be there for that. Can make the trade off then. You'll have about a month to work up loads and get used to the old boy.

I'll get it back from you on the next trip across the duck pond after that. That should get you about six months of good shooting in.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio