Having fun with $89 gun.

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Having fun with $89 gun.

Post by butlersrangers »

I recently bought a Model 1907/15 Berthier rifle with a 'cut-down' stock. The 'Old War Horse' was also missing a couple of minor parts that I could fabricate to get it shooting. What remains of the Berthier is all matching numbers and a very good bore.

It is interesting to note that the Hotchkiss Ordnance Co. submitted three Berthier rifles (in .30 caliber) for the U.S. Rifle tests, conducted between 1890 to 1892, that ultimately selected the Krag-Jorgensen rifle for the U.S. Army.

I imagine the Berthiers were quickly eliminated from U.S. Army consideration. The design failed on many points that had been specified (single load ability with magazine in reserve, prominent magazine cut-off, one piece bolt body, and large non-rotating extractor).

Although the 3 shot, 8X50mm Rimmed, Berthier carbine was adopted for French Cavalry around 1892, the Berthier rifle was not accepted for the French Infantry until around 1915. (It was being manufactured for French Colonial troops prior to French Army adoption).

My Berthier 'cut-down' is proving fun to shoot and relatively accurate. The Sights are a challenge with a very wide front blade and wide rear notch. They were designed for combat with the application of 'Radium Paste' for low light conditions.

The Berthier rifle is rather clumsy and lacks the fine ergonomics of the Krag. However, it is well made and of good materials.

(I intend to eventually restore the stock forearm and front band). ImageImageImageImageImage

Culpeper

Re: Having fun with $89 gun.

Post by Culpeper »

Good luck on finding a front band. Some clod cut off the stacking post on the band of my Remington 07/15.

There is a good French Rifle forum over on gunboards. At least I think it was gunboards. My Afghan service provider has decided for some reason to block any site relating to guns.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forum.php?s=702e6781aba98af8f06e68432ad5a0da
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Culpeper' - Thanks for your Post. I do enjoy the Gunboards Forum.

I envy you, your Remington made Berthier. Your cut-off 'stacking-rod' should be quite restorable. (It just screws in I believe).

The Remington/Berthiers are beautiful and sometimes 'near mint'. There is quite the array of 'folk lore' as to why the French rejected them and most of the rifles remained in the U.S.

Heck, if I was facing the "Meat Grinder" of WW1, my rifle being out of 'specs' or issues of metallurgy, would be the least of my worries. I guess the French were just being French - "Bureaucratie" !

(I would not hesitate to use a Low # 'single heat treat' 1903 Springfield, if in a fight and my life depended on it).

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Culpeper, what are the dimensions of the bore & groove of your Remington-made Berthier?

My adventures with any of the non-German 8mm rifles and cartridges is that the grooves are usually very deep. Apparently this was deliberate, to accumulate fouling but still allow some accuracy when used under extended field conditions, or simply to extend barrel life, given that many of the early bullet jackets were made of soft steel. In any event, they are usually inaccurate with normal cast bullets.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW: My French Chatellerault barrel has a bore diameter of .316" and a groove diameter of .329" (Four lands and grooves). The grooves were deeper than I would have guessed.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Culpeper, what are the dimensions of the bore & groove of your Remington-made Berthier?

My adventures with any of the non-German 8mm rifles and cartridges is that the grooves are usually very deep. Apparently this was deliberate, to accumulate fouling but still allow some accuracy when used under extended field conditions, or simply to extend barrel life, given that many of the early bullet jackets were made of soft steel. In any event, they are usually inaccurate with normal cast bullets.

That is, as some say, a mystery. Haven't slugged the barrel. I have not shot the Remington yet. In fact I have not shot it and the SMLE and half of my Krags, my model 40, the Winny 1897, and a hand full of other rifles. Been in Iraq and Afghanistan for ten years. Had plenty of money in the early days but only twenty-one days of vacation to do all of the things that need to be done like visit the folks and family.

I will remember to get back to you on this thread in December about the groove size.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

'Culpeper' - Thanks for your Post. I do enjoy the Gunboards Forum.

I envy you, your Remington made Berthier. Your cut-off 'stacking-rod' should be quite restorable. (It just screws in I believe).

The Remington/Berthiers are beautiful and sometimes 'near mint'. There is quite the array of 'folk lore' as to why the French rejected them and most of the rifles remained in the U.S.

Heck, if I was facing the "Meat Grinder" of WW1, my rifle being out of 'specs' or issues of metallurgy, would be the least of my worries. I guess the French were just being French - "Bureaucratie" !

(I would not hesitate to use a Low # 'single heat treat' 1903 Springfield, if in a fight and my life depended on it).

Thanks. The berthier is a pretty gun. Dang shame I have not shot it. I was thinking of doing some Great War reenacting as a Frenchman up at Neuville, Penn. but that looks like a failed project at the moment. Still have the rifle for Camp Perry though.

I have no fear of the low numbers. Most everything I read from Hatcher relates to bad ammo or obstructed barrels. So do you know where I can find two pre-1910 trigger guard assemblies with springs and follwers? I have a 1905 and a 1908 barreled receivers that I want to put back together for my own selfish reasons. (I want to shoot them)

Best regards

edit: changed "I have no fear of the low numbers too." to "I have no fear of the low numbers."

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Culpeper: Thank you for your service in Afghanistan!

When you have a chance to fire your Remington/Berthier, use Prvi Partizan ammo. (It is similar to Ball D which the rifle was chambered for).

My Chatellerault/Berthier had the chamber altered, post WW1, and is marked with an "N" on receiver ring and barrel to indicate it can use Hotchkiss Machine Gun Ammo, which is not safe in unaltered Berthiers.

Just to clarify, I do not consider it a safe practice to fire 'Low Number' 1903 Springfields. I just meant, I would use a risky gun, if faced with the prospect of 'No Gun'.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

That is is how I read your sentence about the low number springfields. I edited my sentence. Was tired and it was late night. Darn the English language.

I have a full case of prvi 8x50R Lebel from March 2011 that is still full. Bought it for a Chauchat project that is stalled at the moment. This is the older style ammo that should not be used in Lebel rifles with the tube magazines.

I get the ammo first then I find the rifle to shoot it. The guns will always be out there. The ammo on the other hand is a problem especially in the last five years. I took it to heart from the great Jack Stanley over on Rifle-Company.com about "buying it cheap and stacking it deep". Should have bought two cases instead of one though I see that 8mmx50R is coming back in stock in a couple of places.

Best regards,

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The situation is at least 'Do-able', nowadays, with the 8 X 50R. You can get reasonably priced Prvi ammo and Brass.

Back in the early and mid 1960s, when I was a Teen, a Buddy had a three-shot St. Etienne made Berthier carbine. We wanted to shoot that carbine so.... bad!

Remington 8mm Lebel ammo was a super expensive collector's item. (Fortunately, French military rounds were not to be found. My friend's carbine did not have the 'N' chamber modification).

In the mid 1980s, I had a near mint Remington #5 Rolling Block in 8mm Lebel (French 1914 contract). The only ammo available was the French machine gun ammo in Hotchkiss 'Clips'. (I knew it to be unsafe in early chambers). I sold that Rolling-Block and its Saber-Bayonet (sob!), because I couldn't shoot it, due to lack of appropriate ammo.