I like 'box-lock' shotguns

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

I like 'box-lock' shotguns

Post by butlersrangers »

I recently acquired a utility grade W.W. Greener, 12 Gauge SxS "Forester's" shotgun, built around 1895. The barrels appear to be 'single-iron Damascus pattern'. The bores are quite nice and I am debating shooting it with black powder shot-shells. (In all honesty, I am quite afraid of Damascus barrels. However, the action of the Greener is so smooth and crisp, it begs to be used).

I shot some pictures today of the W.W. Greener beside an East German made 'Simson', built in 1951 (851 = August 1951). The E. German shotgun was probably made by Merkle, since the Simson factory was consigned to making Mopeds, by the Communists. It is a 'Greener' style action. I bought it 'used', last year and it must have lived in a closet for over 60 years! It is stiff and tight from its 'newness'.

I am infatuated by a nicely made double barreled shotgun, much like a Krag. It must be the workmanship, simplicity, and ergonomics. ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: I like 'box-lock' shotguns

Post by butlersrangers »

E. German 1951 'Simson'ImageImageImage

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

Nice SxS

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Nice, but so are your fingers. My great grandfather lost the last 3 fingers on his left hand when his Greener Damascus-barreled "Forester" 12-bore let go, sometime between 1875 & 1880. I have since learned this is a "standard" injury. Using black is not a guarantee of safety.

Inserts? 410 or 28 bore?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'reincarnated': Thanks for the sobering reply. I will check into the option of 'inserts'.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Beautiful looking Chuck! I always wanted a side-by-side!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

When I was 17, I came home with a beautiful Wilkes Barre 12 bore double, an upland bird gun. My grandfather forbid me to shoot it and told me about his father's accident. Grampa was a tool & die maker. He made me a set of 410 inserts.