Weaver M 29-S 'special' scope

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Weaver M 29-S 'special' scope

Post by butlersrangers »

I was shopping for some 3/4 inch Weaver rings on ebay. It ended up being more practical to purchase a pair of rings that were already installed on a Weaver M 29-S 'special' scope.

The 3 power model 29-S Weaver is relatively similar to the model 330, that saw use during WW-2 on 1903-A4 'sniper-rifles'. (BTW - The 'special' designation indicates this 29-S variation has a 3 1/4 inch eye-relief for high-power rifle use).

I have hopes someday to put a "1903-A Forgery" together, for fun range use. This Weaver 29-S 'special' is good enough for this future project.

In the meantime, I will give it a try on my "Faux 1903 Carbine".

The petite model 29-S scope was made for high-power rifle use with a generous eye-relief. It sits low, which allows a good 'cheek-weld' with the Springfield stock 'comb'. The windage/elevation knobs give 1/2 minute adjustments.

Light transmission is very poor compared to my inexpensive Bushnell scope, but, the Bushnell sits higher and really needs to have a raised cheek-piece for a quality Range session.

(Both scopes interfere with use of the issue 1903 'safety-lever').

It will be an interesting experiment, trying the model 29-S at the Range.
Attachments
a weaver 229 - 1.jpg
a weaver 229 - 1.jpg (144.08 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
a weaver 229 - 2.jpg
a weaver 229 - 2.jpg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
a weaver 229 - 3.jpg
a weaver 229 - 3.jpg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
a weaver rival.jpg
a weaver rival.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

Hoot

Re: Weaver M 29-S 'special' scope

Post by Hoot »

Neat. There's a couple of 29's here at Casa Hoot. Cool old single post mounted on a Marlin 39 is a favorite. We do like the old Weavers...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like the the archaic slender lines, but, the small diameter scope 'tubes' sure require bright lighting!

The old 3/4 inch Weaver scope-rings have mighty large 'locking-knobs'.

I swapped one large knob with the 'non-Weaver' ring set to have a knob that did not interfere with the 1903 'cut-off/bolt release lever'. Fortunately the two different ring sets have the same thread.

This allows me to remove the bolt without having to remove the scope. The large knob interfered with the lever.

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

We are absolute nuts for vintage scopes on vintage rifles in this house. The glass, the field of view, the seals are all worse than even entry level scopes these days but they look so right.

Of course, there are a few surprises out there...the Weaver J-series have surprisingly nice glass, Lyman Alaskans (of course), the dainty Redfields plus a few others. One of our other passions....

FredC

Post by FredC »

Yeah, I have already mentioned that my J2.5 is fairly bright. I did take it apart and clean the glass about 40 years ago. My dad originally had it on his 1917 Enfield probably sporterized in the early 50s.
About 15 years ago we sent my son's K4 to El Paso to be rebuilt. A former employee or group of employees were servicing the old US made Weavers. Not sure if the service is still available or how old of scopes they would be willing to work on.

Looks like Mr. Ruiz the former Weaver employee doing repairs has died. The only repair place I could find that looked promising was Iron Sight in OK. Could be a do it you self project. The old glass may have a grime film that is cutting down on light transmission.