Fun Gun Challenge - What is it?

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: Fun Gun Challenge - What is it?

Post by butlersrangers »

This is funny. I just realized my Spanish Mauser, serial # D2004, is just 46 digits away from rifle # D2050, that Captain Andrew H. Russell obtained and altered to a 'straight-pull'.

My rifle 'remained in' or 'got back to' Spain. It got reconditioned at some point with an arsenal replacement stock and an improved rear-sight slide. Replacement parts were numbered to match the original Ludwig Loewe serial number.

'Sister rifles' that have had very different fates!
Attachments
Spanish Mauser D2004.JPG
Spanish Mauser D2004.JPG (103.55 KiB) Viewed 936 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Fred, if possible, could you check to see if there are any past articles in "American Machinist" related to Andrew Howland Russell or William Roscoe Livermore?

Tried to go down that rabbit hole but could not find anything on Russel. There are a couple of complete collections of American Machinist, but could not find any index of them. Andrew C Russel of Austin Texas is a very prolific inventor with many patents. Livermore wrote some history books and copies are available for less than $20.00.
Last edited by FredC on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Fred - Thanks for checking!

BTW - I have not yet been able to find a picture of Andrew Howland Russell.

There is a vast library of William Livermore's papers in Delaware.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I think Popular Mechanics and Scientific American are better indexed as far as articles for research. I found an inquiry about American Machinist and it was mentioned a couple of libraries where one could find every volume ever published but they are not near here and I would get sidetracked to easily starting at volume #1 and searching from there.
On the patent search they were working back on the dates from recent to ancient. Who knew there were so many Andrew Russells. It might have been page 10 before I found the right Andrew Russell.