U.S. Springfield magazine rifle proto-type .30-0x

Other Firearms
Culpeper

U.S. Springfield magazine rifle proto-type .30-0x

Post by Culpeper »

From ARMY AND NAVY JOURNAL September 13, 1902

SEA GIRT RIFLE MEETING.

A large attendance , remarkably high scores , and excellent weather conditions, characterized the annual meet
to Fort Riley will make the start. The four troops of post, will join this week . ing of the N.R.A. of America , the New Jersey State Rifle Association, and the U.S. Revolver Association, held on the splendid range at Sea Girt, New Jersey, from Aug. 29 to Sept. 2 inclusive.
Interest was added to the meeting this year by the
the evening. ...

... Not the least important feature of the meeting was the trial of two new rifles, and ammunition belonging to the U.S. Government under the direction of Capt. O. M. Lissak, U. S. A., who also had on the grounds two of the most expert mechanics in the employ of the Ordnance Department. One was Richard Hare and the other Freeman Bull. Both have shot and watched the development of Government small arms for very many years. M. Bull is in his 68th year.

The new rifles brought to Sea Girt resemble the Mauser. They are known as the U.S. Springfield magazine rifle, and the only difference is in the rifling. In one, the ususal form of rifling prevails, while the other has what is called oval bore rifling, having two grooves. Both rifles have an 8-inch twist. The cartridge used contains 43 grains of powder, and a 220-grain bullet. Several expert shooters fired the new rifle for experiment, and they created a favorable impression. The trial was too limited, however, to give any decided opinion. The recoil was said to be greater than that of the Krag rifles. ...

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: U.S. Springfield magazine rifle proto-type .30-0x

Post by Ned Butts »

Interesting thanks

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Boy, are we lucky. The experimental rifle may have looked like this one.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac- ... -232849581

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... on-carbine
Attachments
2022 01 30 Whelen 1901 carbine at RIA.png
2022 01 30 Whelen 1901 carbine at RIA.png (259.66 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

So, what's not to like?

It looks like Col. Whelen had a very serviceable & powerful carbine.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Springfield rifle tried by competitors at Sea Girt in 1902 was probably like the second or third from the top.

(I took these photos at SA last September).
Attachments
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG (455.23 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG (867.18 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I'd need a lot more info on Lt. Whelen's carbine before I bid on it. No photo of markings on receiver ring. No SN. No provenance. For that price, I expect all of that.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I built mine from desecrated parts and was able to scope it for way under $5,000.
Attachments
sniper carbine.jpg
sniper carbine.jpg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 1218 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Doubly Reincarnated wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:39 pm I'd need a lot more info on Lt. Whelen's carbine before I bid on it. No photo of markings on receiver ring. No SN. No provenance. For that price, I expect all of that.
SN is 11.