Fantasy Swedish Mauser Carbine

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: Fantasy Swedish Mauser Carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

A bayonet is a good idea .... it's a jungle out there!
Attachments
Winfield.jpg
Winfield.jpg (308.17 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Back in the 1960's my father purchased a Swedish carbine that arrived at the Montgomery Wards store damaged in shipment. The stock was broken on the fore end and the front metal was missing. Bargain basement.
Dad brought it home and cleaned it up as you have. Added a Williams receiver sight and a ramp front sight. What was really interesting, was some cleaver Swede had very carefully reworked the original military trigger into a for real, single stage trigger. The smoothest Swedish trigger job I ever fired. So smooth it would scare you. Dad was a good machinist and he would take it apart and examine that trigger with a magnifying glass and could not figure out how they did it.

It made a really handy deer rifle for my brother and I growing up. If you fired at an animal early morning or late afternoon in low light, the muzzle flash was something to behold! My brother sold it a while back and wish I had it now.

Congratulations on your "altered" carbine.

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

The subject of the added barrel extension was mentioned. Adding a short piece to the muzzle to make the length 18 inches.

This is what that modification looks like close up
Attachments
IMG_7923.JPG
IMG_7923.JPG (68.81 KiB) Viewed 894 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Cat Man" brings up an interesting point. Many rifle caliber and powder combinations produce a blinding muzzle-flash in low-light conditions. This happens even with much longer barrels.

An orange fireball in the dark brings a momentary blindness, which negates any quick follow up shots or even good follow through, on the first shot.