Other Firearms
Culpeper

The Other 1895

Post by Culpeper »

this forum was a bit slow.
Attachments
M1895  full dress .30-40.png
M1895 full dress .30-40.png (741.56 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Re: The Other 1895

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice Winchester.
You should have some Russian-model 'guides', screwed to the receiver, for charger-loading at Camp Perry! :lol:

I keep talking myself out of buying a new model 1895, in .405 Winchester, at the local gun shop.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Great Grandpa's 1895 Winchester in 30-40. Posted pics a few years back. I passed it up to my brother, but he said it will go to one my sons down the road. He brings it to my place to shoot annually. Civilian model, but updated with butt pad, new sights, shortened barrel and checkered with a razor blade by a great uncle many years ago. Deer rifle for the northern woods of Wisconsin. My maternal grandpa had it then gave it to a son (my uncle) who sold it to a friend many years ago. When I heard about it my uncle let me know we could buy it back from his elderly friend.

Any other 1895's out there?
Winchester95.JPG
Winchester95.JPG (578.63 KiB) Viewed 931 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My 2nd Cousins on Manitoulin Island (Ontario, Canada) had a near mint 'sporter' in .30-06, hanging on the farmhouse wall.

I liked visiting them as a kid, especially because they would take it off the hooks and let me handle it!

The only electric power on the farm went to the barn to refrigerate the milk and power the fence-charger.
They milked the cows by hand.

They liked playing funny country jokes on me, their naive 'city' cousin. I played dumb and went along with their directions, because I knew I was their amusement.
They were nice guys and wouldn't really hurt me.
I learned a lot about electric shock from fence chargers and getting shot in the eye, with cow milk fresh from the teat!

I liked going to their farm. It was like being on the frontier. Their Dad wore garters on his sleeves and hand-rolled his cigarettes.

My 100 year old Great-Aunt read her Bible for an hour, every afternoon by kerosene lamp. She would tell detailed stories about helping her parents homestead on the Island and helping her husband build the farmhouse, where we were visiting.

Sunday meals were fantastic and all the food came up from a 'cold cellar', through a trap-door in the floor.

Ya, I need an 1895 'lever-gun'.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:47 am Nice Winchester.
You should have some Russian-model 'guides', screwed to the receiver, for charger-loading at Camp Perry! :lol:

I keep talking myself out of buying a new model 1895, in .405 Winchester, at the local gun shop.
The Russian Winchester is on the list. I never had good timing getting one. Either it was lots of money on hand and none to be found or they started to turn up and no money.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Happens to me too many times it seems, in my search for a Russian '95 and other "diffrent" puieces for my accumulation!! Maybe with the current Russian aggression some owners will be shamed into "doing the right thing" and sell their "simble of aggression" :shock: :o :shock: ;)

The Russian Winchester is on the list. I never had good timing getting one. Either it was lots of money on hand and none to be found or they started to turn up and no money.
[/quote]