I Just Received My CMP 1911.

Other Firearms
Whig

I Just Received My CMP 1911.

Post by Whig »

For those who don't know, the CMP is now sending out the third round of 1911 US arsenal pistols to those who filled out and submitted their packets to apply to receive one during the month of September. They offered different grades for different prices and you get a randomly chosen 1911 in that grade you chose. Only one per customer. These have all been evaluated, cleaned, fixed, had numerous replacement parts and checked by the CMP for safety before being released. There is no guarantee of any matching parts at all in all of the grades available. Newer GI replacement parts are commonly encountered. You gets what you gets!

The CMP offered Service Grade, Field Grade and Rack Grade. Best is Service Grade but also the most expensive. Many people who have gotten their pistols have been extremely happy with Field Grade. That's what I ordered when I got my call. (Calls to purchase one are based on a random lottery system. Not everyone who sends in paperwork is guaranteed to get a choice.)

Just as excited as everyone else who has participated in this lottery program, I opened my CMP 1911 case yesterday and found a mix-match pistol. The frame is a fantastic condition Ithaca slide with no rebuild stampings and a crappy newer GI replacement slide. I really can't believe that this was categorized as a Field Grade since it is in such great condition! Many newer parts, also, including the newer GI replacement barrel. I'm sure it shoots great but I have the desire to search for an Ithaca slide now. I'm really thrilled with the Ithaca because, of all of the WWI and WWII 1911s I have, I don't have an Ithaca! So, I'm thrilled to have gotten this great condition Field Grade pistol that I can work on improving. I think that the grips are original Ithaca, also. I have to look up the rest of the parts. The back drop is, of course, Clawson's Big Book! Very fitting!

It is really neat to get a piece of US history with these 1911 pistols that are officially retired from active service. So many of us are now entrusted to care for these pistols that were so important to so many to protect our country for 100 years.

If interested to learn more, check out the CMP 1911 program website: https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/
Attachments
DSCN8283.JPG
DSCN8283.JPG (379.8 KiB) Viewed 932 times
DSCN8274.JPG
DSCN8274.JPG (333 KiB) Viewed 932 times
DSCN8271.JPG
DSCN8271.JPG (349.6 KiB) Viewed 932 times
DSCN8269.JPG
DSCN8269.JPG (321.3 KiB) Viewed 932 times
DSCN8267.JPG
DSCN8267.JPG (339.21 KiB) Viewed 932 times

butlersrangers

Re: I Just Received My CMP 1911.

Post by butlersrangers »

Neat! I'm glad you are happy with your CMP "package". Enjoy!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Nice one! I have been following the post on Gunboards and the Field grades have been getting very good feed back. Hope to hear how yours shoots soon!

Whig

Post by Whig »

I'm surprised how few people I have talked to actually have heard of this program, even on this third round. We have around 750 members in our local rifle club and I'm the only one who has participated in the CMP 1911 program. I expect more rounds to be held because there are still more 1911s in the "vault". Keep an eye out and send paperwork in next time! It is actually a fun process and exciting, just like a fun grab bag treasure.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Looks like a real winner there!

I received my 1911-A1 in the first go-around with the lottery. I received a Service Grade, and was rewarded with a pistol that looked almost brand new! It looked like it had just returned from an arsenal overhaul with fresh dark green Parkerizing, including a new barrel. Mine has a Colt slide and Remington frame!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Paul, I really debated the Service/Field grade issue. Decided last minute to save a few dollars since so many people were saying that the Service grade pistols had a greater chance of having a replacement slide that was not one of the original manufacturers. So, of course, that's what I wound up with. But the Ithaca frame in great shape is a nice prize. I will search for an Ithaca slide which would be nice but to have an official GI pistol straight from the army arsenal is wonderful! You hit pay dirt too!

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

If I remember correctly, they took 10,000 applications for 1000 guns.