Remington Rolling Block 4-S (Military and American Boy Scout)

Other Firearms
P0H0

Remington Rolling Block 4-S (Military and American Boy Scout)

Post by P0H0 »

I stumbled across a couple of great condition Remington Rolling Block Model 4-S .22 Short Rifles (One Military and other American Boy Scout) and decided to pick them both up. I am putting these between 80% and 90% (excellent wood, excellent finish, outstanding bores) — what are your thoughts on condition reviewing the photos? I can post more photos when they arrive at the house.

Here is some background on the American Boy Scout I found online:

Remington Society: NO. 4-S “BOY SCOUT” RIFLES

The American Boy Scout Remington rifle

Photos of the two rifles linked below:

Remington Military Photos

Remington American Boy Scout Photos

butlersrangers

Re: Remington Rolling Block 4-S (Military and American Boy Scout)

Post by butlersrangers »

Those are pretty neat 'Rolling-Blocks', but Bayonets and Boy Scouts was a bad idea!

I like my No. 7 R-B in 7X57mm, made around 1910.
Attachments
RemRB-7mm_001.jpg
RemRB-7mm_001.jpg (79.9 KiB) Viewed 849 times

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Looks sweet! This is my first experience with a rolling block design, so I’m pretty interested to see it up close.

We need to bring back bayonets for the scouts ;-)

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

I have one in .22 LR, fun rifle to shoot.

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

I forgot to mention, it is a take down model.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I think that is interesting — I read somewhere that Remington didn’t want to remodel the take down rifle for the American Boy Scouts, so they just used a regular screw…. I am going to break them down this weekend to inspect and clean and will find out if that is true or not.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Interesting! Please post size & weight when you get the rifles. I assume that these are kid-sized rifles. It was OK for Junior to play soldier in 1910, maybe even in the back yard.

I'm a serious student of .22 Short ammo. The most accurate stuff you can buy are the CCI Target Shorts. In full-sized target rifles (Stevens, Winchester 52, etc) and depending on Lot, this stuff will put 92% to 95% of all shots inside a dime-sized (0.700") circle.

Put them on sand bags from a sturdy rest. Shoot at 25 yards (or even 50 feet). If the sights and your eyes are good enough, use the standard indoor targets or the (Wyoming Schuetzen Union targets that you can download & print). Let us know your results.

A general warning: There are Fiocchi Shorts with copper cases in circulation. They were marketed by Midway & others about 10 years ago. Don't shoot them. Some of the cases will disintegrate; lots of flash & noise, tiny copper particles go everywhere, and the bullet stays in the chamber or throat of your barrel.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I’ll be working on them tomorrow — I’ll measure overall length, barrel and get the weight of each. The American Boy Scout rifle is shown as 22 Short on the barrel — the Military is 22 Short or Long.

I did a detailed bore scope of both barrels — both have well defined lands and groves. I haven’t really seen any pitting — a few minor rust spots in the Military barrel that I hope ultrasonic cleaning and bore brush will clean out. The wood is in top notch shape on both rifles and all the hardware appears to be 100% correct.

Ammo wise — I have the following:

Aguila .22 S CPSP 29 Grain
CCI .22 L CPRN 29 Grain

Nothing in inventory by Fiocchi

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Please measure the twist on both rifles and post it here. Twist rates on barrels made for Shorts or Shorts-Longs vary considerably by manufacturer.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I just finished a detailed clean of the Remington Military 4S — the American Boy Scout will be tomorrow. Everything on the rifle looked good — I have an album at the link below. The rifle is indeed a take down model with a flush screw securing it instead of a finger take down screw. The barrel has good rifling but is showing its age.

I tried to measure the twist rate with a cleaning rod and tape, but the cleaning rod tip spun with the patch spun and not the rod. So I couldn’t get a measure. If you know another way, let me know.

Weight - 5lbs 4.45 Ounces
Overall length - 42.5 inches
Barrel - 28.25”

Remington Military Cleaning Photos

Remington 4S Military Borescope Video

New Ruger 10/22 to Compare Video