The 1950's had style ....

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

The 1950's had style ....

Post by butlersrangers »

.... sort of!

Heck, nowadays, people would just 'hunker down' in pajama pants, goofy tee-shirts and flip-flops.
Attachments
fallout.jpg
fallout.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Robbie the Robot.jpg
Robbie the Robot.jpg (153.92 KiB) Viewed 894 times
my wheel-house.jpg
my wheel-house.jpg (136.63 KiB) Viewed 894 times

FredC

Re: The 1950's had style ....

Post by FredC »

Saw a cartoon, where a young one was talking about active shooter drills. The old guy said we had duck and cover drills for thermonuclear war.
My father was in the Air Force at a SAC base in 1960 and I remember a airman coming through the neighborhood telling the parents to get their kids inside. One of the bombers caught fire and had a full load of nukes, do not remember if it was a B58 or a B52. B58s regularly broke the sound barrier during red alerts and drills. Details are fuzzy now but one would think that a B58 would make a louder boom than a small fighter.

And talking about dress styles. I only saw a few seconds of of Olympic coverage but I got more than an eye full of tattoos on both men and women.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I remember the U.S. Government sending every household a booklet, in the early 1960's, with instructions on "how to build a fallout shelter".

I also remember a "Detroit News" front page article, complete with graphics showing probable U.S. targets for Soviet Nuclear Strikes. IIRC, Detroit was target #3 or 4, due to our industrial capability.

'Ground Zero' extended in a 15 to 20 mile radius from downtown Detroit. We lived at Ten Mile Road.

I told my parents: "There's no point in us having a fallout-shelter. We'll be glass!"

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

Okay, I will admit, in about 3rd or 4th grade we did “duck & cover’ drills and even then I thought it seemed wildly optimistic. We were east of Denver, my dad was an engineer involved in the construction of the underground silos out on the plains. He took me along on one visit, when they had excavated the hole for the site and were in the process of building it. I remember a giant domed concrete structure with huge coiled springs under to reduce the shock from a near hit. We had Cheyenne Mountain south of town at a distance of about 60 miles, outside of Colorado Springs. We were aware of the potential and the standing threat. We just lived with it. My dad had built the radar station on Midway and was there for that significant battle. Most of our neighbors were vets or widows with children.

There are still some squared away kids these days but the street protesters would dissolve like jell-o in a hot sun if they had to face what was going on then. They are lucky we are as civilized as we are, otherwise . . . Well if they came here (E. OR) they would be surprised at their reception. God bless us all. Be well.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I grew up in the then not rapidly changing cornfields 60 miles west of Chicago, graduated from HS in 1958. The town I lived in had a big Finnish population. Those things on the back of the latest cars were "tailSwedes". Don't remember any sort of CD drills at school, any of that. Must be an early 60s thing. In the 60s, I was scraping gray paint for Sammy. And now I'm too old to move to East Orygun.