Hunting Season is fast approaching!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Hunting Season is fast approaching!

Post by butlersrangers »

There is lots of great habitat for Whitetails in Michigan. Mild Winters of recent years and lessened snowfall probably contributes to over-population.

Main predator to Deer seems to be the Automobile.

Deer Ticks transmitting Lyme Disease to Humans has become a serious concern.
(Various Ticks never seemed to be much of a problem in Michigan in the not so distant past).

'Wasting Disease' is also occurring in some areas where herd is getting too large.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

We have an abundance of ticks also, fortunately for whatever reason there has not been a Lyme disease case caused by a Montana tick, all 11 cases last year were bit by ticks out of state. We do have rocky mountain fever although it is rare, I was bit by a tick last year and found a few on me this year that didn't bite me. Our winters have been mild also with these last two winters being the mildest we have ever had.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I caught a game camera photo of what will be a fairly large white tail here. As stated before ours are not that big even though they are supposed to be genetically the same as your northern ones. My guess this one would be about 125 dressed weight.
On some game ranches with high fences and feeding programs they can get them with larger antlers and maybe some more weight. Not sure what a buck on programs can get to as far as weight. Not something I follow or interested in.

This one will die of old age if he can avoid the Kutac place during hunting season and the road poachers. I have found a couple of carcasses of ones shot from the road on my place.
Attachments
BuckRS2.jpg
BuckRS2.jpg (421.07 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Drove up to the shop this morning and saw a buck near the shop and he did not seem to want to run off. I never see bucks near the shop and the few I see always run when I get close. Looked again and there was doe standing by the building, OK, that explains it. Went inside and looked for my camera and the buck came back. I finally caught him with the camera out the office window. He is about 50 feet away and the doe is about 25 feet out. Photo number 2 is from the back porch of the shop with just him looking at me and getting nervous. He still did not run because the doe was near. I would guess this buck is a medium one here not a huge rack and guess he would dress out about 105 to 110lbs. Order was reversed when I loaded the photos, the one with the doe is through the window.
Attachments
Buckfever2.jpg
Buckfever2.jpg (354.26 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
BuckFever.jpg
BuckFever.jpg (647.95 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice photo, Fred!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

redundant
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Considering it was foggy and the one with both deer is through a double pane window, not too bad.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

That is a nice buck! The season closed here on Sunday and my wife shot a nice 4 by 4 on Saturday, I didn't end up getting anything, there was a younger forked horn buck I saw Saturday afternoon that I considered but with the high temperatures we are having I figured one deer to process on Sunday before the work week was enough.
It was 57 degrees here on Sunday breaking the record of 51 that was set in 1899.
It was just too warm to hang a deer through the work week so I spent Sunday processing my wife's buck and had some great tenderloin Sunday night.
I prefer my venison tenderloin coated in a mixture of alpine touch seasoning and pancake batter and fried in butter at high temp to get a crust but still be medium rare.
Blueberry pancake mix first used as the only thing I had one night then later used as a twist to the classic recipe is quite good also!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Another buck or maybe the same one. This one took a selfie in the daytime. I shredded the area adjacent to a pig trail and it attracted deer to it in the daytime. Who knew? Do not tell the locals they will use it to an unfair advantage. Did the shredding Monday morning and they come in for a photo op an hour or two later. Fairly big deer for here. Probably fattened up on peanuts on the neighbor's place.
Attachments
buck2RS.jpg
buck2RS.jpg (662.43 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
Buck1RS.jpg
Buck1RS.jpg (620.54 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
Last edited by FredC on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

He could be a "Snow Bird" from Michigan?