The Krag challenge

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

The Krag challenge

Post by butlersrangers »

Hey FredC, how many Krags do you see in this picture?
Attachments
Torment Fred.jpg
Torment Fred.jpg (299.9 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

FredC

Re: The Krag challenge

Post by FredC »

Between color blindness and now cataracts I am going to say at least 12. Sat out on a hay bale watching for pigs last night and noticed I could not see most of the stars in the Orion constellation with my right eye and with my left eye every semi bright planet, star or distant light had a star burst around it. Getting old sucks. Doctor set me up for Vivity implants over the Medicare approved monofocal implants, $4100 extra each. Read the info pack and they come with a 30-50% decrease in night vision ability. Too many snattle rakes around here to put up with that besides mud holes and other stuff to trip over with decreased low light contrast. They recommended J&J Eyhance in place of those at $2500.00 each bonus out of pocket. Called back to see how they compare to straight monofocus and now 2 weeks and 3 unanswered calls later, I am about to cancel surgery on the 15th and try to find a new ophthalmologist. Anyone ever tell you getting old sucks?

Last crescent moon I noticed I saw about twelve of them with my left eye and about 3 with my right. Full moon has a ragged halo around it, and looking at Jupiter the star burst around it is about the diameter of the moon. About 1/3 the size with my right eye. Would be kind of pretty since there are signs that different lines are different colors. Driving at night to get groceries sucks, I go the back way to avoid traffic.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Worked out on the ranch this morning and thought about things. Beautiful sunrise and I am doing work that younger men could not do and saw a bunch of deer this morning. Looked in the mirror when I get out of the shower and realize there are few men that are pushing 70 that are in as good as shape as me. Really getting old is not that bad, beats dying young any day. Sorry for being such a downer yesterday.

If this stupid doctor office would answer my calls and talk to me about which implanted lens was intended. I just need to fire this one and start over again. This current office took over the practice of a doctor that I worked for back in the 1970s and saved my dad from getting his eyes cut out. I thought the people that took over Dr. Flemming's practice would be as good as him. Back to the drawing board. Hope I can get it done before I have to stop driving.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Please keep us informed of what you learn, Fred. I'm thinking about the same procedure myself. Your informed approach is the best I've encountered.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - My wife and I both have had cataract surgery within the last 7 years. The operations were covered by our Medicare.

The Lenses we received were standard. We both have 20/20 'distant vision' in our dominant eye and close to that in the weaker eye.
We need non-prescription 'readers' for close distances. Driving at night improved because on-coming lights no longer 'flared'.

My night vision is not bad, but aging causes a general decline in the ability to see in dark low-light situations.

Shop around, you need to be able to trust your Ophthalmologist and have all your concerns and questions addressed.
God Bless and Good Luck, Friend.

(We are glad, We had our procedures done. We knew when it was time).

FredC

Post by FredC »

Someone in the billing office called late this afternoon. Finally found out what was intended to be done. Enhanced (extra cost lenses) with laser correction for astigmatism. Told the billing lady I was unhappy with the failure to call back, so another rep called later and I milked her for more info. Then told her I lost confidence in them and will look for someone else. The last brochure I got was for the J&J Eyhance lenses which are $5000.00 over what Medicare will cover. They are supposed to have low light enhancement without the rings and flaring that can happen (but not all the time) with the originally recommended Vivity ($9000 upgrade) lens. The multifocal lenses like the Vivity and the tri focal type have all the focuses happening at once and the brain has to figure out which to pay attention to at any given distance. Right now, I am with Br on the monofocal or possible the Eyhance.

I called an old mechanic friend for a local recommendation, he gave me the name of his eye guy in San Antonio. Two of the doctors in this office fly P51 Mustangs as a hobby. Hopefully they do not use the 50 calibers to do the surgery. So right now, I go to the end of the line and start all over.

Some how, I pictured a doc would talk to you and find out what you do for a living and what your needs are. I think the real procedure is to talk about fancy upgrades and if you do not flinch on the cost recommend even more expensive stuff. Seems like it should be what is best for the individuals needs whether he can pay more or not.

If you really want to get to know what is involved, get info from this surgery instructor: https://cataractcoach.com/2021/12/06/13 ... e-routine/
I asked a question on one of his pages and got on his mailing list by mistake. If i keep reading his stuff i will be qualified to do surgery in a couple of years. One of his favorite sayings is you can not cheat physics. Lenses that promise to do it all will be a compromise somewhere. (the Eyhanse takes away a little of the long distance clarity to give you more midrange reading ability)

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Sorry to hear about your eye troubles Fred, my wife has had type 1 diabetes since she was 6 and had to have a vitrectomy 2 years ago to stabilize her diabetic retinopathy in her right eye, fortunately both her eyes are stable and she continues to have good vision in her left, her right eye that had the surgery now has a cataract, fortunately they say the replacement lenses will last forever and since she is only 27 that is good, so all this to say once you have your cataract surgery it will at least prevent it from ever happening again.
Now as to the picture, I believe their is 2 Krags

FredC

Post by FredC »

Getting a doctor that will listen and do the best for you is a trick. Seems selling the upgrades is common. If you go to that Cataract Coach website he narates a surgery in the UK where a replacement is done. Do not watch it if you are squeamish. The patient had a bifocal implant that caused him grief while driving at night. The UK Doc installed the replacement before removing the bifocal. Not too much blood in the video. I just want to do it once and have a doc that cares do it right. Hope you and your wife already have that kind of doctor and all goes well.

One thing I have heard is the implanted lens does not change so whatever prescription you need afterwards will stay the same. That part makes sense. I have lived with bifocals for 25 years or so and they are no big deal. Can buy a pile of them for $5000.00 if I need to assuming the single focal is the best.

On that photo I saw the one in the gent's hands and assumed those in the rack were also Krags.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My answer would have been: "Three 'Krags' in the picture".

1. The seated man is arms inventor, Ole Johannes Krag.

2. The rifle in his lap is a Krag-Jorgensen.

3. There is a description hand-written on Ole's apron, identifying the 1900 Paris photograph.
In the bottom line appears: "Krag-Jorgensen Gevar (rifle)".

FredC brings up an interesting point about "racked arms".

I had not paid much attention to the background objects and assumed there was a line of heat radiators along a wall.
On closer scrutiny, it appears Fred is right and there are 'racked' rifles, with slings, in the background.

Now, I don't know about the rifles in the background.
Further research on context and location of the 'Paris Photograph' is needed.
Attachments
Mister Krag - Paris 1900.jpg
Mister Krag - Paris 1900.jpg (195.19 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Fortunately my wife got a great doctor toward the start and he has tried every treatment before suggesting surgery, her left eye they were able to use laser treatment to stabilize the retinopathy, when she had the vitrectomy in her right eye she had to lay her head face down for 5 days, she was only able to have her head up for eating, they said about 15 minutes during the day. The reason for this is they put a gas bubble into your eye so when your head is down the gas bubble will hold the retina in the correct place to heal. It was quite a miserable 5 days for her but it healed correctly thankfully.

Darn, I recognized Ole Krag and of course the rifle he was holding, but I failed to see the letter!
Also I didn't notice the racks of rifles in the room.