Opinions About Auctions

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Local Boy

Opinions About Auctions

Post by Local Boy »

From time to time I run across items, being put up for auction, that might be of interest to fellow Krag lovers.

Problem I have is...Am I ruining someone's chances of getting something for a decent price by making it known to more prospective bidders???

What's your thoughts?

Whig

Re: Opinions About Auctions

Post by Whig »

The answer is yes.

But, I resist alerting others for any auction items I am bidding on myself. I know I may be shooting myself in the foot, so to say, by letting others potentially bid against me.

I have posted auctions many times for interesting Krags or Krag related items that others may be interested in bidding on that I disclose I am not bidding on myself.

I have also resisted, although, to be honest, I have not followed 100% with, in bidding on an item that someone here has posted that they are interested in or bidding on. I have let a couple of very interesting items go because of this principle. I try to honor others' intentions in getting an opinion from KCA members without having us bid against them.

One thing you could do if you are wanting information about an auction item you might bid on is post a couple pictures you download from the item description and ask questions about the item without posting a link to the auction or even mentioning where it is being auctioned.

But alerting others for an auction item and providing the link to the listing is a good thing to do. I have followed these leads before and, whether or not I want to bid on the item, I have often learned a lot from the item listing or the discussion on the forum about details of the item. We all benefit from that!

It's up to any individual what they want to do about bidding and how much they might be willing to pay. Many people have posted here looking for a specific kind of Krag and we have helped search for a place to buy it. That can be very helpful to people.

Does this answer the question? I wouldn't shy away from doing this. Great discussion, actually. You're not the first in this dilemma.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Collision ... Collusion ... Delusion ... Disillusion ... Confusion ... or Confession?

It is a delicate and sensitive area.
In fact, a lot of gun forums have a general rule against commenting on currently active auctions.

On the other hand, it is nice to give other members a 'heads up' on an item of possible interest.

Sometimes it is a great opportunity for shared learning or to increase knowledge.

Once, I unintentionally offended an esteemed member of the KCA.
In a post on the forum, I questioned aspects of some wonderful looking Krag rifle stocks, that were listed on EBay.
(His 'EBay seller name' and 'Forum Name' were different).

The stocks proved to be legitimate, but, they were an unusual item and looked too good to be true. My questioning did not hurt the sale, but, likely offended the seller.

We have all seen stuff that was incorrectly portrayed or misrepresented. Whether this is done innocently or criminally, it is not easy to tell.

Questioning an item or exposing errors or 'blarney' can come back on you.

We also like to be helpful and protective of each other and the truth.

It can be tricky!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

And, there is another awkward scenario:

You are at a gun-show - let's suppose it is a large one and you have not yet finished your first round, so you do not know who is there, or what is for sale.

An acquaintance comes running up, fairly foaming at the mouth with lust. "Hey, Dick (or Tom or Harry) did you see that trapdoor or Krag - over in the SW corner?"

You respond "No, I have not - just barely got here."

"Well, can you please take a look, I'll show you where it is, but I don't want the guy to see me talking to you."

"O.K.", you say, and set off. After a minute or so, it becomes evident they he's steering you right towards the table of another acquaintance, or perhaps a friend (who may, or may not, be a mutual friend) and, sure enough, there sits the object of lust.

Let's spice it up a bit - after inspection, you find that the gun has some "issues", not all immediately apparent, but you do not know whether either the seller, or the potential buyer, are aware of them. But, both of them know that you know "more than the average bear" or are "smarter than a 5-year old" (tip of the hat to Jeff Foxworthy).

What do you do?

I know what I've done in the past, but am interested in any new approaches.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Thats a sticky subject, I would give a friend a heads up on a firearm that I found and knew he was looking for but probably wouldnt make a public forum heads up until it was over. And would keep my yap shut if I was seriously bidding on it. Id do my detective work on the sly which is always a risk, the forums knowledge is valuable and it might keep you from buying a fake or at least spending too much unless its a grail Krag and the entire forum entered bids. Ouch. And I dont know any famous gun people so that last posters what if wouldnt happen. I couldnt pick Dick out of a lineup if I had to, mind you not to imply that hes ever been in a lineup.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

As I recently just posted about an auction on this forum, I gotta tell ya I didn't give it much thought. Now that this subject has been breached, it made me think about it. I can see where somebody could be offended, either a buyer or a seller. I had no skin in the game on this recent post and didn't intend to offend anybody. In fact, I am more of a peacemaker. Only problem is, I am not easily offended so I sometimes don't understand how others get offended.
But...I believe I'll be more careful. Peace. [smiley=beer.gif]

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thick skinned or thin skinned, we're all responsible for our own choices.

I think we have a pretty good group of people here at KCA, though!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I agree with you on that, it is a good group. But in the spirit of political correctness and some comedic relief, here is a decent joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQI8rak8c0

King carp

Post by King carp »

Awhile back I told the forum about a krag that was for sale in Texas. Several members commented on the post. Unknown to me one if the forums members graciously offered to check it out for me. I use a small screen smart phone and did not see that I had a message sent from a member. I do not blame him if he is ticked off at me for not replying. It's hard to see the message alert on the blue background for me. I hope he understands. Sorry, had to get this off my chest.
Thanks, KC

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I appreciate the wise council that I receive from the KCA forum members.

Most of the time I remain silent about auctions until they've concluded.

However, a website has some historically significant Krag rifles up for auction that I thought would be of interest to our members.

But as I do most of the time...I will remain silent as to the location of the website.

Thank you once again for your reply's!!!