New guy from Michigan

For poking fun and off topic subjects
shuvelrider

New guy from Michigan

Post by shuvelrider »

I just picked up an unaltered Krag this morning, found this site to learn more as I go along . Been shooting and reloading for milsurps for awhile now, finally was able to add the Krag to my collection. I traded a Marlin 39A Mountie from 1955 and some assorted ammo for this rifle. Looking forward to shooting it soon. Serial # is 1588XX, have not found the charts to date it yet.

shuvelrider

Re: New guy from Michigan

Post by shuvelrider »

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'shuvelrider' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a nice looking model 1898 Krag.

Your Krag, #1588XX, would have been assembled at Springfield Armory around August, 1898. At some point in its service, your rifle's rear sight was updated to the 1902 model sight. When first issued, your rifle would have had the model 1896 rear-sight and hand-guard.

In case you don't know, Krag receivers were serial numbered and went into 'parts bins'. They were not assembled into complete rifles in numerical order, so assembly dates are 'estimates'.

Two rifles near your serial number, #158811 and #158831, were issued in 1899 to Co. B, 35th USV Infantry. However, close is just interesting and no assumptions should be made that your rifle went to that unit. Very few Krag serial numbers are documented in official records.

Again, welcome and enjoy your Krag!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Krags... and to the forum also! Seeing that you're in Muskegon, you should think about shooting with us at KRGC in the CMP Vintage match every month! I shoot there (even though I live in Ypsilanti), and would be happy to help you get started, as would many others that shoot Krags there! We're a very fun bunch!

Your Krag looks pretty nice. It should provide you years of happy fun!!!

Paul

shuvelrider

Post by shuvelrider »

Well, thanks all. I did find the "Brophy" site that gave some knowledge on serial's, it indicated 1899 also but the rear sight had me confused. I kinda figured an update of some sort, Mr. Butler confirmed that---thanks. Where exactly would the KRGC shoot their CMP vintage match Mr.Psteinmayer? I tried my hand at a CMP shoot near Holton MI. using an 03A3 rifle I own, but that was a few years ago.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The KRGC is on North Sprinkle Road in Kalamazoo. The matches are the last Saturday every month from March to October, and are run by Mr. David Graham. There are also monthly matches in Matawan and Muskegon, although I don't attend those because it's just too far. I can put you in touch with Mr. Graham as March gets closer. FWIW, most of the guys who shoot in K-Zoo also shoot at the other matches. Some of those other matches are fired at 100 yards using a simulated 200 yard target... but I prefer to shoot at the 200 yard ranges.
Paul

shuvelrider

Post by shuvelrider »

That club in Muskegon would be the Muskegon Pistol Club, their CMP range is nearby the range I belong to. My range goes out to 200 yard, I like to set up a steel plate and shoot the 03A3 at it.Or any other milsurp I happen to bring that day. I know the CMP is a network of clubs/shoots, I would enjoy trying another shoot sometime.