Rasberry Awards?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Rasberry Awards?

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe we should have a regular "Rogues Gallery" or "Clearing House" for questionable and likely fake Krag items, that we see posted for sale, on the internet and elsewhere.

All my 'gun collecting life', I have noticed 'Shady Stuff' at gun shows. A lot of it has involved Krags.

By questioning and being skeptical, I have learned and hopefully helped others. Sometimes, I have been very mistaken and had new vistas open to me. Other times, my suspicions proved very justified. I hate seeing fellow collectors "burned", especially 'Newbies'.

Here are a few of items I saw today, listed as original on ebay, that do not pass my smell test. (I have informed the vendor about the hand-guard, because maybe he doesn't know it's a Repro). The "Stokes Kirk" sign is in the Philippines (???)! The Krag rods look like 'Repros' to me, (the Oiler seems real), the photo is always poor, and this 'guy' has been selling them for years (???). ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Rasberry Awards?

Post by butlersrangers »

I should not care. I need to let it go.

FWIW - I contacted the seller of the poor quality reproduction hand-guard and explained politely, via email, what he actually had. He did respond with: "Thank you" "ok".

He made no correction or update to his listing. He now has 17 bids on that POS hand-guard and the bid is currently over $103!

I looked at his other offerings and noticed he has: "Antique Hand Forged Nails" ..."5 for $13.99"... "some still with original zinc coating"!

I'd show my Blacksmith friend this, but, it would make him cry.

(Last I checked, 'Cut Masonry Nails' sell for $6.00 a lb. at Home Depot). -- Gotta stop caring --Image

psteinmayer

Re: Rasberry Awards?

Post by psteinmayer »

Unfortunately, on sites like EBay, some unscrupulous sellers can get away with murder! I guess I was raised better (you know my dad Chuck)... and I find it impossible to lie just to make a few extra bucks! I sold some watches a couple years ago, among other stuff to fund my Garand purchase. These were Westclox dollar watches that I sold in a lot of 5. When the guy reported back that one of them didn't work as advertised (it did when I shipped it to him), I sent him another with no questions asked... so he actually got 6!!!

Some people are honest, and others aren't... and thems the facts!