school guns

For poking fun and off topic subjects
davep

school guns

Post by davep »

A few weeks ago I picked up my second "school gun". I purchased both within 20 miles or so of Carlisle army college. I'm wondering if anyone is awhere if the model 1899 carbine altered for knife bayonet was used for training rifles at the army college or anywhere near there?

butlersrangers

Re: school guns

Post by butlersrangers »

Franklin Mallory, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd. edition, (table on page 120, titled 'Phil. Constabulary Rifle'), indicates 145 went to Pennsylvania Mil. College, in Sept. 1906, and 40 in Sept. 1911. PMC was at Chester, Pa. (No mention of Carlisle).

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Which doesn't rule out the possibility. Purchases could have been made from Stokes or Bannerman, who were also making short rifles after the Krags and their parts were sold as surplus.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I imagine the 'Carlisle Army College', being a Federal installation, would have used regular Springfield made Krag rifles, not shortened ones.

davep

Post by davep »

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing Chester is less than 50 miles away also so could be possible. Although the second "school gun" I purchased had an interesting story from the seller. His grandpa used it in the 1st ww and carried a rabbit foot I n the butt stock. Its still there. I did tell him it was unlikely but maybe he was one of the units that still used the krag at that time. Good story though