French influence on U.S. Armories

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: French influence on U.S. Armories

Post by butlersrangers »

You got me 'Parashooter'. I overlooked Mssr. Allen Screw!

FredC

Re: French influence on U.S. Armories

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:06 pm There are a lot of screws in the breech-mechanism of a Hall rifle. It appears steps were taken to improve the quality and the interchangeability of the machine-made screws during the course of the Hall rifle production, (1819 to 1840).

John Hall resided at Harper's Ferry during that period, refining his flintlock breech-loader and setting up the machine-process for mass production.

It is pretty amazing that Hall and Simeon North, (at his New England factory, 400 miles away), were able to manufacture arms that had parts that were interchangeable with each other.

IMHO - The Hall Rifle is of major significance. It would be educational to compare the screw-threads of an early Hall with one of late production. It would be significant to compare the screw-threads with those of other armory produced arms, made both before and after the period the Hall Rifle was manufactured.

Regrettably, few people would have access to this array of historic arms and the inclination to note such trivia.
Saw a "Hall rifle" on Antiques Road Show last night. The man with the info said that, this was the first firearm with 100% interchangeable parts. I assume that included the screws. Will need to go back through this thread to verify.