PIGS!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

one more good thing about feral pigs.

Post by FredC »

When you can list 20 bad things about wild pigs one of the good things was that small ones and sows tasted good. Found one other good thing about them in this article: https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservatio ... eral-hogs/

Part of the comeback of saltwater crocs in Australia has been due to them eating pigs. Florida panthers also have benefited. Overall, the effect on wildlife is negative because they threaten so many species compared to the 2 that they help.

Local situation is still good. No pig seen in months with the thermal scopes or game cameras. I have seen spotlights on the neighbor's place at night and no shots. A few weeks ago the helicopter hunters were flying on the place east of us and on the west side. Not one shot on the west side and only a couple of shots on the east side. No pigs is such a good thing!

FredC

Saved thermal images from rifle scope

Post by FredC »

When you go out at 11:00PM. it is hard to know what you will run into. Carrying weapons for all possibilities is too much. If I am expecting to run into a pig i would carry the 45 Snakeslayer, 45 SA Ruger with heavy pig loads and the single shot 45/70 with thermal scope. Last night I was expecting to see varmints, so I had the Snakeslayer and 1022 with the new thermal scope. Looked out over the Klein field and saw nothing. I climbed up the pivot tower to see over the grass and saw what looked like a pig, guessing 75 yards out. Turned on the scope recorder and caught 2 shots. Stalked the pig some more and recorded some more shots. two from video 23, 2 from video 25, and one from Video 26 were recorded. I did shoot a total of 9 times at the pig and connected at least 4 times. Hope to see buzzards in the pasture with the cows in the next couple of days.
The 10th shot was at a bird. I thought I was only seeing a spot of the pig with the rest obscured by the tall grass. It did not move so I walked up on it, and it turned out to be a bird perched on a grass stalk, unharmed.
Attachments
EZVZ0026(1).jpg
EZVZ0026(1).jpg (147.74 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
EZVZ0025(2).jpg
EZVZ0025(2).jpg (137.88 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
EZVZ0025(1).jpg
EZVZ0025(1).jpg (215.85 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
EZVZ0023(2).jpg
EZVZ0023(2).jpg (174.23 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
EZVZ0023(1).jpg
EZVZ0023(1).jpg (174.45 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

butlersrangers

Re: PIGS!

Post by butlersrangers »

Better be careful out there!

Fred, you may not know who or what you are dealing with.

We don't want you abducted by Aliens!
Attachments
The-S.-S.-SwinTrek.jpg
The-S.-S.-SwinTrek.jpg (118.87 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Strange Pork.jpg
Strange Pork.jpg (273.28 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
pig-in-spaceship.jpg
pig-in-spaceship.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Oh yeah, that Klein field thing and alien invasive creatures. Klein grass was kept alive with irrigation since it was cut a couple of months ago, now the last couple of weeks it has rained over 5 inches and will not stop so we can cut hay again. its waist deep and no telling what is hiding in there besides the pigs, dillers and badgers. Now you got me scared! Need a regiment of armed fearless assistants.

FredC

Native nightmares

Post by FredC »

Not all nightmares come from aliens. Some are home grown native.

Over the 20+ years I have been here I have killed about 25 or 30 of these nightmare causing critters. Some years I do not even see one. This year I have seen 2 that got away. They are still out there. The biggest one I killed was with the shredder, came back by the spot a half hour later and there were buzzards on the ground. Figured I ran over a fawn, but the pieces of the snattlerake that were left were bigger than any I had killed by other means.

I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the friends and acquaintances that have been bitten by venomous snakes.
Attachments
snakeRS.jpg
snakeRS.jpg (192.27 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
P82A0042RS.JPG
P82A0042RS.JPG (222.54 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
P82A0032RS.JPG
P82A0032RS.JPG (540.37 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
002RS.jpg
002RS.jpg (883.8 KiB) Viewed 1636 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Interesting article on the threat of wild pigs in spreading disease. ASV has the potential of taking out almost all of the domestic hog population of the US.
Bad enough the damage they do to crops. ASV will also be hard on cats and dogs if I read the article right.

Temporary link you can read the whole article without entering your email address:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hogs- ... b4d625682a

Permanent link, you will have to enter your email address to read the whole article.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... ease-crops

FredC

Re: Feral Cows!?

Post by FredC »

I had a friend that sells off his herd when it it is too dry. Once about 20 years ago it rained again and he bought some cattle at the auction. Turned out they were so wild he and his son had to hunt them dressed in camo used binoculars to get close to them to shoot them with tranquilizer darts. I am not sure what happened after that.

just saw this link in the last couple of days:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 303462002/
Cattle are very aware of their environment. Calves go through a stage when they are very difficult to get back to the herd if they are separated. You cannot even sneak up on them with night vision in total darkness. Helicopter hunting works with pigs not sure how it will work out with feral cattle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe they could tranquilize the more aggressive Feral Cattle and relocate them on the border?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Sure would not want feral cows on my place. On public land they would damage it like their current location.
For border control you would want something meaner. My friends could not even get close to their wild cows.
Kind of hard to think of something that would not hurt the locals but would keep out illegal crossers. Maybe al lot of talk about legendary animals like the chupacabras would scare away the uninformed? Funny that spell check knew how to spell that.

I guess the myth would need to be about a man eating chupacabra instead of the goat eating variety. Since it is a mythical creature, we can give it any characteristic we want, right. :-)

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Shooting pigs. Had a church member who hunted them with dogs. My cow! He used a S&W M&P in .38 Special. Never saw him need more. I showed up for one hunt w/ a 12 ga. Win. M-12 riot gun loaded w/ buckshot and slugs. They thought I was crazy. It was fun. Plus, I had plenty of power. Comforting to have the juice you need when stuff that can cut you is loose on the ground and there aren't any convenient trees to climb. Must admit, nowadays, I just thumb a enbloc clip of proper rounds into my M-1 as I get out of the truck. When used right, it has a calming effect on whatever is jumped up.

Never shot cows. Did have a dentist ask me to kill five that he couldn't do anything with. By the time I could get loose at the church and get on over to his place, someone else had already done the job. They made a mess of things. If you're going to shoot something, spend some time at a zoo looking at the things in a cage. That way you actually know where things are on an animal. Makes it much easier to hit what matter when you start shooting. Sincerely. bruce.