PIGS!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: PIGS!

Post by FredC »

Would be safe to shoot from with no worry of a pig counter attack (only happened to me twice). Still the rubber tires would spread the burrs to other fields.

Yeah, I saw the odd cap not sure if we would mandate that on a pig hunt.
I remember one time the hunters using dogs were were working a neighbors property. I parked my old pickup on my immediate neighbors place and the old Dodge Raider on my place so i would have each field covered if the pigs popped out. They popped on the neighbors place , 5 of them. Peanuts had been harvested and the field was smooth. My son was in back firing (with a 10-22) over the cab and me driving, I would get close then stop and shoot one then put in gear and chase again. I rolled four of them and chased the fifth till we could go no further. Came back later and 2 had got up and left, so I fired 4 shots and got 2 pigs, not bad on running targets. The ones that fell and got up may have died in the brush, who knows.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

We could stitch those caps to look like 'pig ears' and take turns being decoys. :lol:

Metal tractor 'tires' might solve the other problem.

I'd wear a goofy hat to hunt wild pigs in Texas!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Another idea would be to build a 'hunting blind' attractive to pigs.
Attachments
Trojan_pig.jpg
Trojan_pig.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Here's something different than your usual pig barbecue places that you'd find in the south.

FredC's authentic Hawaiian Luaus!!!

With your unlimited source of pigs you'd make a fortune!
Attachments
Luau4.jpg
Luau4.jpg (141.9 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Luau3.jpg
Luau3.jpg (112.75 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Luau2.jpg
Luau2.jpg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Luau.jpg
Luau.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Do they have coconuts in Texas? :shock:

FredC

Post by FredC »

Coconuts, only at the grocery store. Seems like you could grow them near Brownsville but I have not heard of it.

I doubt if my wife would put up with luaus with native girls dressed like that. Customers would not put up with the vermin that you would have to deal with on summer nights. I went out last night with a fair amount of moon light and the 45/70 with the thermal scope. After a couple of seconds the scope would choose a good nuc system and give you an image. Saw 5 heat signatures out there that were grazing. Just dots at several hundred yards away. On the way out I saw a deer at less than 50 yards and it was easy to tell it was a deer. I was going to wait a while for the critters to move but a red harvester ant bit/stung me on the calf before i could drop the gun and pull it off there was another one doing his thing next to it. These and stings are pretty painful on the level of a scorpion but the level of pain is not so immediate like a scorpion hit it grows gradually over a few seconds.

Anyway after a while I figured the 5 hot spots were deer by the way they were grazing. I was in too much pain to verify or wait for the pigs to show. Pretty sure that this pig herd is a small one, hunting them is hard because they are not creatures of habit. They will be here tonight and there for a couple of other nights. Just random unless you have the only peanut field around, then the pig, coons, coyotes, skunks, and possums will be there every night. Coyotes and pigs get stupid and easy to kill when they are "pigging out" on peanuts. I have seen coyotes cross just inches from the front of the combine when they were picking the peanuts up.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ouch! My rolling Trojan-pig decoy/blind is suddenly looking like a pretty good idea.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Around here they call them mobile blinds. Not a bad idea, I wish I had one. I can see it now, I could take enough provisions to the blind to wait them out with the 35 Krag in case they come out in the day, the rifle with the thermal imagining for close up night time shots, the .222 with the night vision for long range shots and the 45 Ruger for dispatching wounded and charging pigs. Oh, and do not for get the mosquito netting. Who needs sleep? Been too long I forgot how tough it was to hunt the critters in the summer. I think if you check the Jager pro web site the scheduled paid hunts are in the winter after the peanut harvest.
Its coming back now. My son and I would make one or two night time trips a week. Across my place and the neighbors is 2 1/2 miles. would start out here and go to the far property line then come back while sweeping with a spot light. Many times my calico cat would follow me as she liked to hunt. She liked to pretend she killed the coons and what not I carried out of the peanut fields. A few times I threw a dead coyote in front of her when I came back out of the peanut field, if I had video of that, I would have won the $100k prize on America's Funniest Video!

FredC

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:07 am Ouch! My rolling Trojan-pig decoy/blind is suddenly looking like a pretty good idea.
Very good idea indeed.
Left my Jeep at the mechanics for a couple of days. When i picked it up this reg was there. I asked the mechanic if the customer might be willing to lend it out for a couple of days. Sadly he did not think so. Interesting rig can be driven from the platform.
Attachments
MobileShootingPlatformRS.jpg
MobileShootingPlatformRS.jpg (224.9 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
MobileShootingPlatform2RS.jpg
MobileShootingPlatform2RS.jpg (225.23 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'FredC' - You just need to get more creative ..... be .... like Mr. Bean!
Attachments
Be like Mr. Bean.jpg
Be like Mr. Bean.jpg (175.79 KiB) Viewed 1720 times