PIGS!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: PIGS!

Post by butlersrangers »

I would send that 'non-primed' factory load and its packaging back to Lapua, with a note explaining what happened.

The primer-pocket of this 'loaded round' looks mighty clean and indicative of never having held a primer.

Lapua would likely be interested to know that a packaged 'faulty round' got out of their factory.

They are a quality and trusted manufacturer. They would probably "want to make things right".

BTW - I like the look of those "Centurion" Police shotgun rounds.

"Buck & Ball", making a difference, since the invention of firearms!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Ain't Lapua's fault. Purchased as non primed cases. The box was so big that I missed the last round when I was priming them. Should have turned the box over instead of feeling around when I was priming the cases. I thought I had finished priming them all when I dumped the primed cases back into the box. If I had been working from a shallower box or container that would not have happened, so if I was giving advice to handloaders: work from a shallow container so that you can see the bottom when finished.

It is the only explanation that makes any sense. Should not have been any loose powder in the box. The other box that I primed was 100% done.

These Lapua cases are nice, besides being "match grade" the chamfers on the ID and OD of the neck are perfectly done, never seen a case so well finished. When I bought these Remington was out of stock and these were not much more for 300 pcs. Anyone shooting 222 could not do any better.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Oh .... Pilot Error!

FredC

Post by FredC »

And I had a second chance to catch it when I put the powder in. Need to buy some of those cartridge organizers.

FredC

Pigs take selfies

Post by FredC »

Just had a chance to retrieve the SD card from a camera on the fence line with my neighbor. Mosquitoes have been fierce with all the rain we got earlier.
Bottom photo is actually earlier I think I see the eyes of 2 more in the blackness and a little one stopped at the water waiting to cross. The boar in the first one is showing off his testicles. The field that have been going in is full of grass burrs i do not look forward to going in there at night, I have asked permission from this neighbor to hunt from the service road on the fence line and fire into my place. Waiting for an answer on that. They will be planting peanuts soon so they have more interest in fixing this than I have. In our first years here we killed 200+ pigs on that place.
Attachments
IMG_0625RS.jpg
IMG_0625RS.jpg (817.14 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
IMG_0141RS.jpg
IMG_0141RS.jpg (896.89 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Here ya go Fred; print some of these up for practice.
Attachments
pig target.jpg
pig target.jpg (90.66 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

WOW FredC your post seem like they leaped from the pages of A.J. Hunter's book "Hunter!"

Those pesky pigs sure are destructive... and I thought the squirrels hanging around our house caused a lot of damage.

Maybe you should combine pig hunts with your farming?

I can see it now, "FredC's Pig Safaris" guided pig hunts or maybe a book, "FredC's Pig Hunting Adventures".

Pig hunting using helicopters and mini-guns!... now that would be something!... sign me up!!!

I wonder if the latest white phosphorus scope technology would serve you well? Image definition seems nice but I have never personally used one.

https://www.nightvisionguys.com/agm-wol ... or-level-1

Actually, I could mount one of those white phos scopes on my .458 SOCOM and use that setup to deal with those punk squirrels!!!

Oh I forgot...I live in Alaska and we're experiencing almost 24 hours of day light so I guess I won't need the night vision scope. :cry:

FredC

Post by FredC »

The pigs have been taking selfies at 12:30 to 2:30AM, kind of tough hours plus the field is knee deep in grass burs. Tripping in that mess would not be pretty. You could not pay me to walk through that field at night. I killed a rattlesnake by the front door of the shop at 9:57 in the morning Sunday while zooming a meeting. I asked if anyone heard the gunshot afterwards and a couple said they did.
I did get a thermal scope besides the night vision I already had. It is was put on a single shot 45/70, turns a light weight rifle into a heavy weight real quick. Interesting points on the thermal, not one bit of the image is from visible light, it is all composite of temperature differentials. Pretty interesting looking through them and seeing stuff. Looking at the house at night you can see where the heat is escaping, the biggest emitter was the concrete foundation. I am not sure how they would work in the summer, can do a test by looking at the black cows.
People paying to hunt pigs in the fall and winter is being done by these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EymHKsaOpRg. Most of the videos I have seen are after the peanuts are harvested.

I have part of a center pivot planted in sorghum for cattle grazing the sorghum is now 10 plus feet tall (cows will be happy soon). The edge of that field borders the area the pigs are visiting so I may be able to hunt from there if it is passable. If I kill any in those burs i will not go in there at night to collect them the buzzards will find them in the morning.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - If you put together a 'War Wagon', along these lines, some of us will come down to your place with guns and ammo!
Attachments
Davidson1915Cadillac2.jpg
Davidson1915Cadillac2.jpg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
davidson-when_cats_go_bad.jpg
davidson-when_cats_go_bad.jpg (182.27 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Oh yeah! I'm down with that idea! Except for wearing the sideways cap that looks like cat ears! :twisted: