PIGS!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: PIGS!

Post by FredC »

Second pig this week. Repaired pig damage by raking most of the soil back into the rooted area, then scattered some $700.00 a bag seed in the area. Makes you pissed at pigs. Got up at 2:30 the next morning and walk towards groups of deer till the pig stands out. At night deer are just so much more aware of your presence and move away. Finally found Stripes but he moved away before I got close. Followed him for a while and got close enough to take the shot. Time stamp shows 3:30 AM April 12th on the original photo. I was going to turn him over later to see where I hit him but cattle were uncooperative that morning, buzzards found him before I could get back. Oh well.
Attachments
GatheringIntellRS.jpg
GatheringIntellRS.jpg (909.67 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
StipesBitesTheDust.jpg
StipesBitesTheDust.jpg (579.05 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
RepairAndReplantRS.jpg
RepairAndReplantRS.jpg (651.92 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Looks like the Pigs may win. They are getting more sleep than you are, Fred!

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

I still think Fred should open a restaurant serving authentic Texas Hawaiian Kahlua pig or better yet...Filipino roast lechon pig! Oh baby!

Or even better, lets bring our Krags and meet at Fred's and have ourselves a pig party to remember!!!

Culpepper could supply the ammo (since he has ammo bunkers full of the stuff) and we would be helping Fred deal with those pesky varmints!
Attachments
pig.jpg
pig.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1988 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm in!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Br, it is hard on the sleep. Pigs are not nocturnal by nature, so they are not at their best at night.

Local Boy, problem with eating these wild pigs is the males stink of male hormones. I could smell it outside the house when my wife was cooking pork from male pigs. Decided life was too short to eat them. The smell is like the odorant used in propane and permeates all the meat. Completely edoble just not appetizing. Females and males up to 80 pounds do taste good.

These last 3 have been about 200lb males. Bachelor group, I guess. I think I missed the last one this morning. Went out about 6:15 this morning. Only deer in the Klein and sorghum fields. Decided to check the southeast field by the game camera and saw nothing for a while, then a truck drove by on the county road. He drove real slow and made me think road hunter, so I watched him till he went out of sight, then looked at the pig trail and saw a low dark object moving fast towards the hole under the fence. I got off a quick shot but heard no thud. The pig then hit the fence and crashed through the brush. The brush in there is so thick the buzzards will not be able to access him even if he is mortally wounded. Will have to watch that camera to see if he comes out.
On a Krag party hunting pigs, kind of tough mounting these thermal and night vision scopes on a Krag. These scopes besides having normal eye reliefs weigh about 3 lbs. Turns a 10 pound rifle into an extreme heavy weight. Thought about it a lot and can not come up with the way to do it. My night vision first rode on a 10-22 and it was hard to lug around. I killed a lot of coons, possums, and coyotes in the peanut field. It now tops a fairly light Savage 222 and the thermal is on a single shot NEF 45/70. Both are now heavy weights. I have 2 1917 Enfields have thought about putting one of these scopes on one but the idea of lugging around a 14lb rifles kills the idea real quick.
Attachments
IntelRS.jpg
IntelRS.jpg (748.2 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
AfterBurnerRS.jpg
AfterBurnerRS.jpg (734.21 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I was reviewing the local 6:00 news this evening and saw the tape on the bottom say "Rome residents impose curfew after increase in wild boar attacks".
I backed it up then froze it and copied it word for word. Wowsers, I never had a boar attack me unless I really pissed him off. Wounding him and chasing it up against a net fence with no opening really made the one upset, the answer was a 220 grain 45 hollow point in front of 16 grains of 2400 to the head.
Makes you wonder what is going on in Rome that they are attacking people at night, maybe the boars are really attracted to the smell of garlic? Either that or they hate the smell? If anyone knows someone there maybe you could send them a link to this thread. The 45/70 on a strong single shot with 60 grains of powder and 300 grain bullet and thermal vision for short range work. A higher velocity rifle bullet with night vision for 200 yard shots, then your 35/40 for daytime shooting while carrying your Ruger with stiff loads in 45 caliber for really pissed off pigs. Thats all you need to take your neighborhood back.

On that last local pig he stopped crashing through the brush about 50 yards in. I am going to say he died there as he has not been seen since then on any camera. I did buy some cattle panels to cut up and seal the holes in the fence. Need to get them installed soon or others will be back. I did see and hear a helicopter hunting pigs on the river place across the county road on Sunday morning. They did quite a bit of shooting just before they took off. Hope they killed a bunch and did not drive any this way. There is another solution for the good people in Rome.

10:00PM news thread read exactly the same, this was a CBS station.
Last edited by FredC on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Local Boy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am I still think Fred should open a restaurant serving authentic Texas Hawaiian Kahlua pig or better yet...Filipino roast lechon pig! Oh baby!

Or even better, lets bring our Krags and meet at Fred's and have ourselves a pig party to remember!!!

Culpeper could supply the ammo (since he has ammo bunkers full of the stuff) and we would be helping Fred deal with those pesky varmints!
I can lay my hands on the equivalent of nine cases of Winchester 180s and and two of my home rolled with 220 SMKs. Give me a few weeks and I should be able to build three to four thousand 5.56 with 69 grainers. Of course, the Krag stuff is my war reserve materiel for the Zombie End Times.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Culpeper, don't "All Your Ex's Live in Texas"?

But hey, there's worse things than eating stinky Wild Pig!
Attachments
Baconator revealed.jpg
Baconator revealed.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I was a major supplier of the secret ingredient to Wendy's for years. But, you know, the government. Ugh. New federal rules about drug free people. Used to be hobos were clean with only a hint of booze in them. Drug free for the most part. Then the FDA got in the act. They said I had to install a lab to test for drugs. They said the times have changed and people wanted to eat healthy. No GMOs. Free range this, free range that. No antibiotics or other drugs in meat. Blah, blah, blah. Even the soylent green industry had to make changes. In fact I was talking with a CEO of one of the industry leaders in SG who told me his suppliers in the funeral homes had to test for Fentanyl because it does not break down. I digress. So the supply of hoboes dried up with changing times and economic conditions. When was the last time anyone has seen a real hobo? It's almost like finding a honest lawyer or politician. Right? We looked into the homeless thing in California but that is a no-go since nothing is drug free there. Free range yes but not drug free. So I had go out of business. Too much over-head and paperwork.

Now I just represent the USA in Olympic Tiddley-Winks. Spain is playing Bangladesh, St. Kitts is playing Japan. The US drew a bye and will play the winner of those two pairs. Gotta watch out for the St. Kitts team. They are ruthless and will not stop at any thing to win the Gold.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Some things are big in Texas!

Post by FredC »

Was going through some old family emails. The pig in the attached photo was killed near Beeville Texas on a ranch belonging to the family of my brother's employer. Do not know the fellow next to the pig but assuming he is a normal sized Texan this pig is around 8 foot long from his snout to the base of his tail. Email said something about being a Texas record.
It is getting bad when the only way to pick them up is with a forklift. The email is dated 2010 so this was some time back.
Attachments
LittlePiggy.jpg
LittlePiggy.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 1846 times