OUCH!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

OUCH!

Post by butlersrangers »

I am sure this is a fine book by Gary Anderson on shooting vintage rifles in matches.

But, IMHO, the cover artwork is a poor choice!

I can't imagine shooting my M1 Garand with the 'butt/shoulder placement', as shown in the drawing. That ain't no 'Mouse Gun' !!!

Also, no shooting jacket or adequate padding? .... that Dude is going to have a significant bruise.
Probably some 'tingling fingers' and cycling problems, too, with that forearm grip near the Op-Rod! Yikes!!!
Attachments
CMPGuidetoTargetShooting.jpg
CMPGuidetoTargetShooting.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

FredC

Re: OUCH!

Post by FredC »

OUCH, indeed! The spotter may not be feeling good either.

waterman

Post by waterman »

An old time Schuetzen shooter. I'm surprised he didn't balance the Garand on his finger tips. That would keep them out of the way of the mechanical stuff.

The old pre-war International Match load or its modern equivalent, 165 gr to 175 gr bullet, sufficient IMR-3031 to provide a v0 of 2200 fps will function properly in a Garand and is very easy on the shoulder. In the days before black rifles, our club shot offhand military matches at 200 yards and many guys used that load in Springfields or Garands. I've seen many guys shoot a Garand like that using the IM load.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears the CMP may have 'pulled' the picture of the book cover in the article in their emailed 'newsletter'.
When I checked the next day, the photo was gone and in its place the caption, "No Photo Available".

I imagine a number people probably commented on the poor instruction value of the cover.

(A google search for Gary Anderson's book will find 'hits' showing the odd cover image).

I cringe, when I envision the blow to the Shooter's left 'Pinkie' !!!

BTW - I'd like to read the book. I'm sure there is lots of good stuff.
Attachments
CMPGuidetoTargetShootingwithVMR.jpg
CMPGuidetoTargetShootingwithVMR.jpg (130.52 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
CMPGuide on How Not To.jpg
CMPGuide on How Not To.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

The first thing that caught my attention was having the only point contact with the shoulder the edge of the lower butt plate. Seemed to me that would hurt besides slipping back, with possible loss of control. Then I saw the rifle seems to be aiming high, maybe he is coming down on the target and not ready to pull the trigger?

Never fired a Garand before, does the automatic mechanism reduce the kick over what is experienced shooting an Springfield or 1917 Enfield? An employee fired one shot from my Enfield with a thick recoil pad with out holding it firmly and showed me the bruise several days later.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - The M1 Garand is a very 'cushy' rifle to shoot. Firing G.I. M2 Ball Ammo (150 grain jacketed projectile) or NM ammo (with 172 grain projectile) is more pleasant than with the 1903 Springfield or model 1917 Enfield.

The Garand has a nice fit, a bit more weight, and some of the rearward momentum is lessened, because of timing and forces used to operate the mechanism.

p.s. - There is a 'hooked' projection on the Garand's operating-rod. This is a surface for the right hand to grip and pull the operating-rod to the rear. This action opens the bolt and moves it rearward.

When a Garand is fired, vented gases from the barrel enter a gas cylinder. This drives the operating-rod to the rear with a purpose to cycle the mechanism.
A 'pinky' struck by the operating-rod will probably be broken or sprained.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Might just be a posed picture as he has already removed his gear?

FredC

Post by FredC »

He does have hearing protection on but he may be just checking out his sight blackening job prior to real shooting? :-)
Did not know that Garand's recoil was softer. I could just see that butt plate slipping over his shoulder, gun and right hand smacking his face and then the gun falling on the spotter. I guess we chalk that up to a vivid imagination and lack of knowledge of that particular rifle.

My father told me a gun control story. He shot a mule deer at about 50 feet with a new Winchester varmint round. He saw the deer coming towards him with the far side front leg dangling, cycled the bolt preparing for a second shot as the antlers were coming up the barrel. He said he almost shot his own head off.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - The usual High-Power competition rules, for matches fired with the M1 Garand, require that a G.I. style sling be in place.
When firing 'Offhand', the sling is attached to both swivels and made taut.
It is used as a 'shooting aid' for prone, sitting or kneeling.

There is no sling on the M1 rifle in the graphic.

Of course it could be a "Black Rifle" guy's first experience with the Garand. :roll:

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

CMP GAMES
RIFLE AND PISTOL
COMPETITION RULES
8th Edition—2020 & 2021

4.3.2 Slings
Rifle slings as described in Rule 3.6 may be used in As-Issued Military Rifle
Matches. Slings are not required, but when used, M1907 or M1 slings may
be configured with arm loops and used for support in the prone and sitting or
kneeling positions. In the standing position, slings may either remain attached
to the rifle in the parade configuration and not be used to support the position
or the sling may be removed. . .