Stalled out

For poking fun and off topic subjects
RicKrager

Stalled out

Post by RicKrager »

Greetings after a long absence.
As life leads us down our various paths I find I have a lot to do and my focus can be diverted. As this group has consistently been informative and inspiring I turn once again to the general knowledge base. Awhile ago I picked up a sporterized but lovely 1896 Krag. This seems to be a cut down rifle. The single biggest issue is what appears to be an A3-03 front sight with a original back sight (w/ the windage lever). These sights have a significant difference with the front sight being too high. Again I appeal for suggestions. I do not want to start cutting on the front sight, nor do I like the idea of mounting an aperture on the receiver.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the aperture sight on my 1898. I just don’t fancy abusing the metal as would be necessary to add one to the 1896. So here I sit, thinking perhaps a shim under the rear sight would be an answer. Complications? Replacing existing sight mount screws and having a shim machined (or doing it myself). Hmmm. For now I will await a bolt of inspiration os a suggestion for safely lowering the front sight or removing it with out damaging the patina.

It’s funny how boldly I attack problems most of the time but this one . . . I hesitate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

By the way, I’m in Oregon. Our tyrant governor and her majority minions are not shy about their oppression of every rational person under the guise of “inclusiveness.” Solving problems with wood and metal adds a sense of rationality to life.

butlersrangers

Re: Stalled out

Post by butlersrangers »

RicKrager - Good to hear that you obtained another Krag.

Just to help verify which front sight you have, I've attached a photo and a graphic of the 1903 and 03A3 Springfield sights. The two sight types are entirely different from each other.
A variety of blade options and heights are available for the 1903 and '03-A3 bases.

IMHO - Changing blade height is a far better solution than 'shimming' the issue rear-sight.

Test firing with your current sights will offer an indication of the adjustment needed.

Because the Springfield front-sights are so tall, they generally make a 'cut-down' Krag shoot low.
Setting the rear-sight to 400 yards will often put shots close to point of aim at 50 yards.
Replaceable front blades can be filed down to raise point of impact.

Antique 'No-Drill' receiver sights by Redfield and Pacific can be found and offer another practical solution, (without the need of permanent alteration).
Attachments
Springfield 1903-1905 sight.jpg
Springfield 1903-1905 sight.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Springfield 03A3 base.jpg
Springfield 03A3 base.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 591 times

RicKrager

Re: Stalled out

Post by RicKrager »

Hello Again, Butler’s Rangers. I see your words here and on MilSurp. It is always a pleasure to communicate with you and all the other regulars. Reviewing your kind information and that of other contributors has me now shifting gears from author back to Krager. It helps that the range is warming up. I plan to have the ‘96 front sight issue resolved soon. Best regards to all who generously share their information, all to the goal of keeping our fine rifles shooting.