Post by Capt. Frank »

Good answer for Dims.
Attachments
guncontrol.jpg
guncontrol.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

FredC

Re: gun control

Post by FredC »

Proper gun control involves calling you shots. Several dogs, coyotes, and pigs lived because I did not have time to check what was behind them before pulling the trigger. Once you have pulled the trigger it is too late to call the projectile back if something pops up in the background.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hey Fred, tell us that story about the hole in your finished basement wall again! :P

FredC

Post by FredC »

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing. The muzzle was aimed in safe direction while working the bolt. That part may have been controlled.
It would be neat to have a basement. I have a friend that has one. One of only two I have seen in south Texas.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC, you hit the nail on the head about "always having the muzzle pointed in a safe direction".

I've had three accidental discharges, (not with Krags).

They occurred at the range and the shots went harmlessly into the ground or backstop berm.

One incident involved a new CZ sporting rifle with a 'set-trigger' that malfunctioned. (Cause unknown)?
Two accidental shots were from a 'used' BSA Martini .22 cal. 'target' rifle. (The trigger adjustment-screws had not been 'locked', so the trigger-pull was getting progressively lighter. The slight vibration from closing the action was enough shock to trip the sear and fire the rifle into the ground).

I had a near accidental discharge with a reproduction flintlock rifle.
The 'culprit' was poor in-letting of the lock, around the sear. Excess wood interfered with the sear properly engaging the tumbler notches.
Having 'primed the pan', when the frizzen was snapped closed the hammer released. The mechanism had been on 'false' half-cock. Fortunately, there was not enough momentum for the flint to strike a spark and ignite the priming.

As a teen, I borrowed a friend's Winchester .22 cal. target rifle. I was going to take it to an indoor shooting practice.
During a pre-check at home, I discovered that if the bolt was cocked and the 'safety' applied, the mechanism would 'fire' when the 'safety-lever' was released. (Upon disassembly, it was discovered that the rifle's factory sear angles had been drastically altered to 'improve' the trigger-pull)!

Embarrassment is a lot better than catastrophe. Keep a gun's muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

At the Range, when loading a gun's chamber and closing the bolt, keep the barrel level or angled downward and pointed at the backstop or ground.

I don't know how often I have seen shooters angle their gun 'skyward' while closing the bolt to load the chamber!

It is far safer at the Range to elevate your loaded firearm from a downward angle, aim and fire.
An accidental discharge from a firearm pointed skyward will send a projectile out of the Range to an unknown 'target'.

Pre-checking and being very familiar with a firearm's "fire-control system" may detect and prevent malfunctions and failures. No system is perfect, hence the need for safe habits!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Around here there is a saying that a round in the transmission is better than one in the head. So people get into the vehicle with the muzzle on the floor board. Not only does wear the muzzle crown causing inaccuracy. If you did have an accidental discharge with the muzzle effectively plugged every one in the cab maybe pulling shrapnel out of their bodies besides being deaf for the rest of your lives.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It may be blasphemy, but, I'm a big fan of an empty chamber, until I'm on foot in the great outdoors.

FredC

Post by FredC »

A lot to be said for that, loading and unloading chambers has its own risks when going from field to field looking for pigs. Make sure of the muzzle direction, when doing that. Extra care when working in the dark counting and keeping track of the number of cartridges.