KCA guide to 'Styling' your campaign hat

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

KCA guide to 'Styling' your campaign hat

Post by butlersrangers »

Photographs taken during the Spanish War, Philippine Insurrection, and at Regular Army, Volunteer, & National Guard Encampments, in the 1898 to early 1900's period, show an amazing freedom and variety in how individuals expressed themselves through the medium of their chapeau!

The styling may have allowed quick identification of an individual or enabled one to find their hat quickly. Some styles, like the "Montana Peak", were better at shedding rain.

I am sure, when first received, all of a unit's 'campaign hats' looked alike.
Given the boredom and tedium of army life, combined with American creativity and independence, it likely did not take long for a hat to gain 'character'.

This photograph of the 19th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, (although some obvious 'clowning' and drama is going on), shows typical hat 'styles' to be found in all units of the era.

(p.s. - The two bayonets appear to be captured Spanish items).
Attachments
guide to styling your hat.jpg
guide to styling your hat.jpg (296.33 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Knute1

Re: KCA guide to 'Styling' your campaign hat

Post by Knute1 »

Looks like the first guy in the 3rd row from the top had his hat well ventilated.

Posted it before, but I think my great grandpappy Swan was stylin' in this photo. Not sure, but I believe it was when he was in Manilla during the Filipino Insurrection. Didn't have his military Stetson reshaped much, but wore tilted a bit.
CharleysHat.jpg
CharleysHat.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 476 times

butlersrangers

Re: KCA guide to 'Styling' your campaign hat

Post by butlersrangers »

Your great-grandfather looks mighty dapper for his 'photo-shoot'.

He's probably wearing his hat 'blocked' the way the Army liked to see them.

But, the walking stick and jaunty tilt of the hat show us a bit of Charlie's personality and swagger.