You think you have it bad?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: You think you have it bad?

Post by FredC »

Continuing in the series "you think you have it tough", look what these guys are doing. Took this photo from about a mile away. It is a little foggy and drizzly so you cannot see the guys faces. They are installing buzzard poop screens. Buzzards roost on the towers at night and their poop falls on the insulators and lines below, the screens are supposed to catch it to prevent line loses. So they are working up there in probably an inch deep of buzzard poop (Imagine how slick that stuff is on the metal grid they are standing on). If they were to drop one of the screens that are installing it could short the 345KV line below. You would see the flash a hundred miles away if that were to happen.

Friends took me up on a regular cherry picker at night. it was terrifying could not wait to get my feet back on the ground. They would have a nice view on a clear day up there, but you would never get me up there day or night.
Attachments
Tower1.jpg
Tower1.jpg (578.29 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Towe3.jpg
Towe3.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

FredC

2 legged coyotes are not so smart

Post by FredC »

This news report was from a couple of months ago. Details have become a little fuzzy. Coyotes stole a small airplane and stripped the interior to carry more illegal aliens. They crash landed way short of their intended landing area. Apparently they did not account for the higher than normal fuel consumption with a drastically overloaded plane. This happened in the big country out in west Texas.

FredC

2 legged coyotes are just plain evil

Post by FredC »

This one from the news this morning:
A car blows though a check point in the valley, the coyote and illegals abandon the car in tall grass alongside the road. The car catches fire and after the fire department puts out the fire, they found a small child zipped into a duffel bag in the trunk. The child survived.

Note to self, check the trunk the next time we put out a car fire on an abandoned vehicle.

Will have some funny and interesting 4 legged coyote posts later, when if find the photos.

I saw further info on this incident. There was a high speed chase thus the very hot exhaust catching the grass on fire. It was a young woman in the duffel bag, she must have had a vey slight build as there was some footage of the duffel bag being carried out of the car. Apparently she was a victim of human trafficking. I am sure this is not the full story yet, odd that the news blurb is showing an incident from 2 weeks ago.
Last edited by FredC on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Coyote and road runner selfies

Post by FredC »

The reason the camera was aimed down an owl or other large bird kept landing on it for a time and pushed the camera down. It was an irritation having to re-aim the camera often, but it did get the only road runner photo out of 10s of thousands of photos.
It would have been more interesting if they were at the camera at the same time.
Attachments
RoadRunner1RS.jpg
RoadRunner1RS.jpg (845.95 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Coyote1RS.jpg
Coyote1RS.jpg (468.89 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

FredC

Correction

Post by FredC »

Added info was seen on a news report of the 2 week old account of 2 legged coyotes.

2 legged coyotes are still evil!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Back to foor legged coyotes. They are looking thin again. I am not sure why they are looking so bad the other camera caught mice in the coyote crossing and there are those pigs I just killed. No peanuts for the last couple of months maybe the cause. Almost met him to put him out of his misery. Notice the ouchie and time stamps. The Krag I was carrying does not show but how about those snazzy snake boots?
Attachments
SnakeBootsRS.jpg
SnakeBootsRS.jpg (478.39 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
NearMissCoyoteRs.jpg
NearMissCoyoteRs.jpg (642.29 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
CoyoteWithOuchieRS.jpg
CoyoteWithOuchieRS.jpg (779.73 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

FredC

Tough days for coyotes

Post by FredC »

I moved the game camera back to the fence with the neighbors to monitor the pigs. Looks like that final shot got rid of the last one. Time to seal the openings under the net fences and keep new ones out. We are in the middle of a drought here last report called it severe with exceptional areas not far away. Coyotes look worse than they did last August and peanuts are not even planted yet. Not sure if the coyote in the last post is the same as this one. I think I can see the wound on this one. It is a day time photo and really shows the poor condition. The happy dancing coyote from the late summer is now thin but not as bad as this one. Will have to pay attention to the cat's food in the future as these coyotes look terrible they have to be getting pretty desperate now.

Changing gears to 2 legged coyotes. The news this morning showed a rolled and torn up 4 door pick up truck. Law started chasing them in Medina county and chased them to south of San Antonio. One illegal bailed out early on and 15 were in the truck when it rolled. Two were transported in helicopters in critical condition the rest were hospitalized. Driver was arrested in the hospital. Usually the coyotes get away, but not this time. So when the pursuit began there were 15 passengers plus the driver in a pick up. Belongings were scattered all around the wreckage. It was a mess of truck parts and stuff.
Attachments
BadShapeWithOuchie.jpg
BadShapeWithOuchie.jpg (875.44 KiB) Viewed 961 times

pickax

Post by pickax »

Glad mother nature is helping you out Fred, unfortunately the coyotes are always there and rise and fall with the food chain.
Same situation in Northern Maine, completely different locale but same story as they affect the deer herd numbers in cold country up there.
I've seen videos of helicopter hunts for hogs in Texas, would that be do able in your area?
Glad one 2 legged coyote got caught. My cousin and wife with young kids at the time lived in Sierra Vista AZ. on the border and moved 4 years later when in became untenable with the smuggling through the back yard.
They're getting old and happy in New Mexico now.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have the same neighbor on both sides of my place and they hire a helicopter hunter about once a year. I was working on the roof on internet cell antennas the first time and took me a while to figure out what he was doing. He was far enough away I could not hear the wounded pigs squealing and the gun shots were a little muffled by the rotor. The old man that was leasing the ranch on my north side hired a helicopter and used a 12 gauge with buckshot. He said he only killed 72 before he was so beat up that he could not shoot anymore (he was about 80 at the time). His neighbor had killed 200 from the same helicopter on a different occasion. I just bought some cattle panels to cut up and fill in the holes under the net fences. Just need to get that done before they take up residence again.

I have been suggesting to the deer that they practice birth control, but they do not listen. I wish the coyotes were up to taking out about half the fawn crop but I think that by July they will be in such poor shape they will not be able to take on an angry doe. When I went home for lunch there were about 4 deer in the front yard. I am going to have to figure out how to thread a hot wire through the garden to keep them off the cantaloupes other wise they will trample and eat the vines.

Almost 20 years ago, I looked out the shop window and saw a bunch of sheriffs deputies searching outside the shop while carrying AR rifles. That was a little unsettling. Turns out a deputy pulled up behind a broken down van adjacent to my place. One illegal and the coyote hopped the fence, the deputy caught the illegal when he tripped, but the coyote got away. The deputies told me to take the keys out of my vehicles and lock the doors that night. The closer you are to the border the worse it gets. The fellow that had his house crashed into lives about 10 miles from here. Another rancher on the edge of Floresville that is on the end of Hwy 97 has had his fence blown through so many times he has a short replaceable gap in line with the road so he can repair it in about an hour.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Jesus , I don't Know what to say.
Hang tough with the balance of it all