You think you have it bad?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: You think you have it bad?

Post by butlersrangers »

Bothered by aggressive canines? .... Call Catticus!
Attachments
call Catticus.jpg
call Catticus.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

King carp wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:42 pm When I lived out west the U.S. Gov. Put out a huge contract for fur coated hoods on winter coats. Pacific furriers in Spokane was paying for the time really good money for coyotes with nice coats. That is what got me into varmint hunting. You could almost make a weeks pay with 2 or 3 coyotes. I live near o'hara airport now in chicago. I wish there was still a bounty on them. They sure can adapt. The news has many stories on pets being killed.
Looked at the photos again and noticed how tight the spot is between the house and fence. You would never get one of our locals in a spot that tight. Deer will occasionally mosey through our cattle pens when the gates are open on both ends, never seen a coyote track in there. Your coyotes look in much better condition. you all must take better care of them :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

We use to put a bounty on coyotes.

In the age of extreme animal protection, coupled with plenty of urban garbage & 'road kill',
we provide a bounty to coyotes!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Speaking about road kill. My younger brother financed part of his college expense by hunting varmints for their skins. One day he picked up a roadkill coon and threw it into the trunk in the way to school. One class he finished his assignment early and raised his hand to be excused. Teacher asked why, reply was to skin a coon. Teacher asked the class if they wanted to watch Cary skin a coon. Sure they did! I am sure the the teacher and some of the girls were a little green in the gills before he finished.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A well rounded education is a wonderful thing! (Nothing like a little extra-credit in a class).

King carp

Post by King carp »

Most of the "wildlife"around here has adapted to the surroundings. That means most of them are dumpster divers. They probably have high cholesterol, hardening of the arteries, and diabetes. A lot of them should go to weight watchers.
Attachments
CRD5oabUYAEVitr.jpg
CRD5oabUYAEVitr.jpg (154.11 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Never thought to ask, for the last few years I have been aware of the protozoa infection that coons carry. Just sweeping coon droppings off the sidewalk is dangerous without a mask.
Know several people that have had pet coons. How did they not get it? Maybe a course of antibiotics early in the pets life?

King Carp, that is just too funny! Trying to imagine if there was one TV program that would catch both of their interest. Or they were so lazy it did not matter what was in TV?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

They are obviously watching Masterpiece Theatre ..... "All Creatures Great and Small".

FredC

Re-Maybe a bad 10 days

Post by FredC »

Saw this in the local paper. Reprint from an article of days gone by. Kind of goes with the theme of "you think you have it bad". The article on the side is about a woman recounting when she was 10? an Indian attack. In Fredericksburg they have a celebration noting the treaty with the Comanches is one of the only ones honored by both sides. Maybe the treaty was later than these 2 accounts.
The Rangers mentioned in the first article would have had to cross several rivers and creeks on the way with miles of desolation between them. Not a very forgiving country in August.
Attachments
BadWeek.png
BadWeek.png (747.4 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

King carp

Post by King carp »

People were built different back then. I'm thinking oak, leather and cast iron.