Changing market and demands

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Changing market and demands

Post by butlersrangers »

The news videos from Afghanistan are showing a glut of U.S. weaponry in the hands of the Taliban.

It will probably be tough times for the "gunsmiths" of Darra and the Khyber Pass.

Lots of scrounged quality arms are now available to the locals tribes.
Bogus antique arms purchased by foreigners in the market place will be a thing of the past.

I imagine the 'smiths' could profitably transition into loading ammo for the American weapons.
Another niche might involve switching from Martini rear-sights to model 1896 Krag carbine sights!

I'm sure the clever 'smiths' will adapt to changing circumstances!
Attachments
Darra gunsmiths.jpg
Darra gunsmiths.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
khyber work.jpg
khyber work.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

Dick Hosmer

Re: Changing market and demands

Post by Dick Hosmer »

So THAT'S what Bubba looks like! I'd always imagined him as grossly overweight in a dirty white undershirt, bib overalls, with a beer in one hand an a dull hacksaw in the other.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

:lol: :lol:

King carp

Post by King carp »

It's pretty amazing what can be done with a vice and some hand tools. I remember watching a video of a kyber pass gunsmith making a functioning C-96 mauser broomhandle in three days with no power tools used in its manufacture. Perhaps a step above "bubba".

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

King, I suspect you are correct!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

On British Arms forums, there are many posted pictures of newly acquired Martini-Henry rifles, brought home by returning U.S. and Canadian service personnel. The owners post, asking, "is this real"?

It is becoming increasingly difficult to spot the "Khyber-Made" copies.
Often an upside-down number 8, on the sight leaf, is the best clue, that a suspect arm was not made at Enfield or B.S.A.
Too many redundant stamps is also a good "tip-off".
Part of the difficulty is caused by the presence of some original legitimate parts.

One must be cautious, about clues, so as not to inform the natives on how to make better fakes.

I have never doubted that these "Khyber" gunsmiths were craftsmen.
They could produce good guns, if given better steel alloys, knowledge of metallurgy, and barrel making equipment.
They certainly have advanced skills with hand tools! I never considered them to be 'Bubba'.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I was JOKING!!!! The native craftsmen are VERY good indeed, have been for years. Bubba, on the other hand, is an affront to humanity.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Yes! Giving credit and discredit where due! :D

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

These Kyber pass gunsmiths are extraordinarily good considering their methods of manufacture, I once saw a video of one melting leaf springs and then casting tokarev frames right in the sand floor of his shop. It is also very interesting to see some of their nicer copies and even some of the cruder copies. BR you are right about those 1896 Krag carbine sights, better not show them ebay otherwise we are going to have a real mess on our hands!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I suspect some "Khyber" and "Darra" gunsmiths are internet savvy and have improved their forgeries by following certain Martini-Henry forums.
There are a couple of little M-H nuances, that I am guarded about.