Battleships on the Great Lakes?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Battleships on the Great Lakes?

Post by butlersrangers »

How do you get Battleships on the Great Lakes?

You build a mock one at Chicago, on brick pilings, for the 1893 World's Fair.

Or, if you are Norwegian, you build an exact replica Viking ship and sail for 27 days across the Atlantic.
Attachments
columbian exposition 1893 chicago.jpg
columbian exposition 1893 chicago.jpg (348.7 KiB) Viewed 684 times
ce-1893.jpg
ce-1893.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 684 times
ce-uncle sam.jpg
ce-uncle sam.jpg (303.07 KiB) Viewed 684 times
ce- uss illinois-fake.jpg
ce- uss illinois-fake.jpg (278.95 KiB) Viewed 684 times
ce-vikingship.jpg
ce-vikingship.jpg (344.72 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

butlersrangers

Re: A Battleship on the Great Lakes?

Post by butlersrangers »

The "Viking" was a gift to Chicago from Norway, so the Fair would also honor the accomplishments Leif Erickson and his crew.

The replica Viking longboat was copied from a 'burial boat'. It was sailed and rowed from Norway by 11 Norwegian sailors.

After crossing the Atlantic, it made its way inland via the Erie Canal to Lake Erie. It continued its voyage up the Detroit River to sail Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, arriving at Chicago.

Following the World's Fair, the Norwegians navigated the Chicago River to the Mississippi. They sailed the "Viking" to New Orleans and then rowed back to Chicago.

On display at Chicago, the "Viking" deteriorated at its mooring in the Jackson Park lagoon.

It ended up poorly displayed, for years, at the Lincoln Park Zoo. With zoo expansion, it faced being destroyed.

Norwegian organizations had the hull moved for preservation to Good Templar Park, Geneva, Illinois. where it still resides. The Dragon 'figure-head' is at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

Although it has had a rough life, the "Viking" has fared better than the Spanish replicas of the Pinta, Nina, and Santa Maria, which graced the Fair, but, no longer exist.
Attachments
Viking leaving Norway 1893.jpg
Viking leaving Norway 1893.jpg (86.07 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Viking in Lincoln Park Zoo -1920.jpg
Viking in Lincoln Park Zoo -1920.jpg (127.55 KiB) Viewed 679 times
viking ship - Geneva Ill..jpg
viking ship - Geneva Ill..jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 679 times

butlersrangers

Re: Battleships on the Great Lakes?

Post by butlersrangers »

Built in Cadiz, Spain in 1892, the Spanish Government had three replica Caravels made, as a gift to the City of Chicago.

The Santa Maria sailed from Spain, the Pinta and Nina were towed. They made their way through the Erie Canal and sailed to Chicago.

The three ships certainly added to the spectacle of the 1893 Exposition.

Over the years, There were complicated schemes and efforts to preserve & save the three vessels.

The last survivor was the Santa Maria, which became kindling in the 1950's.

The World is not kind to old ships!
Attachments
ce- santa maria.jpg
ce- santa maria.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 654 times
ce-jackson park caravels.jpg
ce-jackson park caravels.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 654 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

There were some later replicas of the Columbus boats built. I saw one go by on Texas State Hwy 97, in front of the old shop (on its way to Corpus Christi). Seems like I took a picture, must not have had it developed since I can not recall seeing the picture. Remember when you used to have film developed and ordered prints?

That Hwy was a designated oversize load route saw some monstrosities go by. New place not so much. I did get to help pull this one up the hill next to my present place.
Attachments
IMG_0229RS.jpg
IMG_0229RS.jpg (616.69 KiB) Viewed 652 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Just to be clear the thing in the crate is a cold tower not a replica boat. I looked up Columbus replicas in Corpus Christi and found this:
http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2017/08/corp ... ne-harvey/
Evidently the last one sunk behind Joe's Crab Shack. No clue if it was repaired or refloated. Seems there have been lots of replicas and they do not seem to last very long.