Not Ignoring Anybody

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Not Ignoring Anybody

Post by Knute1 »

For some months I have not participated in this forum as zealously as I had in the past few years. My Krag mania was fueled by my Great Grandfather's use of the Krag in the military. I have found about all I could on everything Krag. Presently I am not in the "zone". But I am still reading everybody else's posts with interest as I know there is much more to learn.

As of late I have found out about an ancestor by the name of Napoleon Bonaparte Smith (nicknamed Bony). He had an interesting life traveling to California in 1845. For part of the trip his party was guided by Jim Bridger. He fought for California's independence from Mexico alongside of Kit Carson. Fought under the command of Fremont. Was an original Bear Flag Revolt participant. He was called a "pioneer of pioneers" in California history books. His father was Major Timothy Seymour Smith who was in the war of 1812. I am verifying if his grandfather was Major David Smith of Connecticut 8th Line during the Revolutionary War and in the Valley Forge muster roll.

So you see, I have much to research and put together for other family members so I can shed some light on our past.

Bony was living at Fort Joseph (southwest lower Michigan) and for a short time worked for the American Fur Company alongside of Indians in Wisconsin. He married in 1844 and his wife died giving birth to a daughter in 1845. He left for the west a month later leaving his daughter with his in-laws to raise. I am descended from this daughter. He would later re-marry in California and have another 8 children. So you can see how the family history was lost. But now I am retracing his trails.

This forum is still of great interest to me and hope it continues as it has and more.

FredC

Re: Not Ignoring Anybody

Post by FredC »

Glad you are doing OK. I just had contact with a couple of my high school class mates and was amazed how many have died. So being busy but still hanging out here is a good thing.
Stay well.