Krag Era Medals

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Krag Era Medals

Post by Knute1 »

As some of you know, I had written a 50-page history of a Krag carrying great- grandfather's military history during the Philippine Insurrection and Boxer Rebellion. An uncle had some of his medals and decided to give them to me due to my efforts and interest. I am honored to have them and got them at a family Thanksgiving dinner. I have no information on the clasp in the bottom of the box.
Badge1a.jpg
Badge1a.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Badge2a.jpg
Badge2a.jpg (90.07 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Badge3a.jpg
Badge3a.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Badge4a.jpg
Badge4a.jpg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Badge5a.jpg
Badge5a.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 500 times

King carp

Re: Krag Era Medals

Post by King carp »

Thanks for showing the medals. Those are great pieces of history. I am pretty sure the bottom piece is called a 5 claw dragon clasp. They were used on belts and capes. Maybe something your great grandfather picked up while in china.

Knute1

Re: Krag Era Medals

Post by Knute1 »

Yes, I am sure the clasp came from China. Probably a little souvenir. I'll have to research the 5 claw dragon. Thanks for the info.

Note that the fourth medal is the "Imperial Order of the Dragon" medal. The enlisted men could join this order. The "Military Order of the Dragon" was for officers. I had thought that it was the latter until I had done some research. My great grandfather was a Private. The former is rare and this is of the second issue with the crawling dragon on top of the ribbon.