It would be nice to have a like button.

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

It would be nice to have a like button.

Post by butlersrangers »

When a post is made on the KCA Forum, it often gets numerous views, but very little in regard to replies or feedback.

I make way too many posts! I enjoy sharing discoveries, knowledge and observations.
When there is no response, I am left wondering: Is my stuff stupid? Not interesting? Too basic and stuff everybody already knows.

A "like button" would be a nice feature. It doesn't require much effort and gives a bit of an indication if a post was interesting, helpful or useful to someone.

"Stickies" are nice too. A lot of good reference information and threads have been posted.
They just move 'down' the page, become content on back pages, and sometimes become 'contaminated' and are 'lost' and inaccessible.

There! I've ventilated and will shut up for a while.

King carp

Re: It would be nice to have a like button.

Post by King carp »

Hi B.R. Thats a good idea. Here is your 1st. Like button. lol. Take care, K.C.
PS. i think the winter is getting to me.
Attachments
20220109_112338.gif
20220109_112338.gif (313.96 KiB) Viewed 847 times

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

I don't care for "Like" as a response. I do like the arrangement at Milsurps.com where one can add "Thanks" - which is then appended to the post. Sample reads like this -
"The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Parashooter For This Useful Post:
Flying10uk, Roger Payne, tatou"

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php ... post510756

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thank you Parashooter, that's the feature I like.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Br,
I have noticed that you remove post that were anywhere from worth a good chuckle to roll on the floor laughing out loud. Have not replied to them because I am not funny enough to add anything.
I have copied and pasted some of yours elsewhere and gotten likes.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ost3864854
Note post #289
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ost3867206
Post #834 For those that do not get it, Omicron was a cutting oil that was produced in the 90s by Mobil thus MobilMet. Omicron has been replaced by MobilMet 427

Machinists are usually smarter than the average bears but they can get into some real arguments overstuff. A number of your posts were used to calm things down with a little humor. And they did work for about 5 minutes. That thread got locked because of all the name calling and hard feelings.

Over there I only used the like button to mark posts that I wanted to save for reference. That does not work anymore as one cannot find a list of their likes/thanks.

Over here one thing I would worry about is adding this feature and something else we like gets busted because of the software. Hate to see us loose something because of unintended consequences.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Chinese Propaganda Ministry will use that photo of Mobil "Omicron" to blame U. S. Industrialists for originating Covid.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Little off the subject of the like button, but this stinking omicron looks like it will kill only 1/3 as many people that get it, but the bad news is that 6 times as many may become infected. Vaccine effectiveness is way down and immunity from previous infections does not count with this variant.

Speaking of China, this maybe the one that gets them, their hard lockdowns have stopped all the variants till now. Looks like this one picked up some of the genetics from a corona cold virus. However this one started, it's got wings. Before this ie over they may wish they had a lot of empty Omicron drums to stuff the virus in and bury them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Winter Olympics start in about one month .... Achoo China!

FredC

Post by FredC »

You may be right about the Olympics being the China's lead into the pandemic. If so, we will not come off unscathed. Back in the 90s I saw a push from all sectors to push the US into being a service economy and away from the old manufacturing economy. Back then I thought great, we can all cut each other's hair, cook each other's meals, and now you can add lawyers suing the manufacturer that try to stick it out. The transition is done now, most have no idea how things are made and no inclination to learn. The next few months could make the holiday shortages look like a cake walk.

Looks like myself and the other dinosaurs at Practical Machinist may be the last of the breed that know how to make things. No wonder those guys get grouchy sometimes.

Got internet at the house for the first time at the beginning of the pandemic, then they lost the best cell tower when one of their circuit boards started going out and they could not get a replacement for 6 months. Chip shortage, they used to make them things here. I think they were invented here.