Krags in the French Foreign Legion

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Cat Man

Krags in the French Foreign Legion

Post by Cat Man »

I didn't know the French Foreign Legion carried US Krags in the Sahara. Well at least Gary Cooper did in Beau Geste. I had to look twice. That's no 8MM Lebel!

Jeff the Caterpillar Man
Beau Geste With Krags.jpg
Beau Geste With Krags.jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Culpeper

Re: Krags in the French Foreign Legion

Post by Culpeper »

Yes Sir! That is one of the films in the Krags in the Movies thread. Good eye.

I found two more films that I need to add to the list but the thread is busted and I have to wait until it gets fixed.

It seems to me, in my wanderings through early American cinema, that trapdoors were the surplus rifle of choice up to 1917 to 1920. Then I started to see more more Krags, Berthiers, and bolt actions in the bigger war efforts because of downsizing from the war. Winchester lever action rifles took over westerns. Other reasons, I think, is the fiftieth anniversary of the Civil War started to fade away and the increased assistance from the War Department in the 1920s with Hell's Angels, Wings, and the Big Parade and other epics. None of this was an overnight change unless one can classify fifteen years give or take as overnight.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Re: Krags in the French Foreign Legion

Post by butlersrangers »

Talk about 'Trans' ..... ole Beau has one of the Krags that was likely "altered" at Benecia Arsenal,
to feed Blank cartridges through the magazine. (Note likely screw-head on the outside of the side-plate).
Attachments
Beau Geste With Krags.jpg
Beau Geste With Krags.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 531 times
IMG_9081 (2).JPG
IMG_9081 (2).JPG (201.42 KiB) Viewed 531 times
IMG_9085.JPG
IMG_9085.JPG (296.95 KiB) Viewed 531 times