The fifth season

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

The fifth season

Post by butlersrangers »

Michigan has a fifth season that mostly falls between Winter and Spring but can rear its ugly head at other times of the year.

I enjoy traveling to other regions of the country to escape "Pot-Hole Season" - Discouraging Happy Travel since the Mastodon!
Attachments
Titanic michigan edition.jpg
Titanic michigan edition.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 858 times

FredC

Re: The fifth season

Post by FredC »

Can you lose small cars in them? Houston sometimes has big pot holes.

Not sure what season we are in. It was 87 for a high Tuesday, for the last couple of days or highs and lows have been between 29 and 35 BRRR!

Weatherman mentioned the highest and lowest recorded for Feb. 21 the other day. Lowest ever recorded was 30 and hang on to your hats now, the highest recorded was 100 in 1996. With variations like that I am not sure what season we are in either.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

You will want to stay away from upstate NY then Chuck!!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Maybe a good time to invest in companies dealing with "cold patch".

FredC

Post by FredC »

Seasons are a little funny here this year. March had a late freeze that killed a lot of forage grasses. April was spring and May started summer this year.
Hot pavement season has been going on since. Maybe you all see it also, but truck tires get beat up on gravel roads then just shred to pieces on asphalt that is hot enough to fry eggs.

One section of road near Pleasanton had tire shreds every 50 yards for miles a lot of semi traffic on that stretch. Not far from here a semi lost his front tire and the tire then tore off his front fender and headlights adding to the debris beside the road. I am sure that was exciting.
Attachments
AnotherSeasonableProblemRS.jpg
AnotherSeasonableProblemRS.jpg (438.54 KiB) Viewed 567 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

For the last 48 years, I've lived in a place too mountainous for a lot of high speed roads, a place where it never gets really cold, where snow is usually that white stuff you see on the mountains when you look at them over the rim of your wine glass, and where it seldom gets hot. 2 days ago, we had a HEAT WAVE warning from the National Weather Service, got up to 74, but the blacktop never melts.

We have potholes, mainly because the system that distributes $$ to fix them is famously corrupt. But what I've been impressed with over the last 20 years or so is the decreasing number of failed tires or parts thereof on the roadside. There was a tire recap place in Eureka, mainly did big rig tires, but they went out of business. I suspect the reason was a lack of demand for their product. Present-day tires just seem to hold together, no matter how many miles on them or how crazy the drivers.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Quote "2 days ago, we had a HEAT WAVE warning from the National Weather Service, got up to 74,"

Wowsers, we could do with a heat wave like that. Been 105 very regularly here with an extra 5 or more for feels like because of the humidity. At least the humidity does not break down tires or melt the asphalt but the real temperature does.

All that rubber on the side of the road on HWY 97 sure seemed excessive, but there are a lot of oil field service companies over there and the drivers drive hard on the gravel roads then drive harder on the pavement.

A few years ago, I drove to Corpus on the interstate and the speed limit was 75, which is taken by many as permission to drive 95. I noted skid marks about every mile or so that started on the pavement and went off into the grass on the right. Many times with a steep slope leading off into the ranch land off the road. I mentioned to a friend in Pleasanton and he said his son was in the local fire department there and on occasions had to climb trees to retrieve bodies. Good grief, check your tire and air pressure before you drive hard on hot pavement even if you obey the speed limits that is still a good idea. If you do have a blow out, do not slam on the brakes

FredC

Post by FredC »

Well, I shot my mouth of bragging how hot it has been, and it will not even get to 100 today.
That'll teach me. It may even break the heat wave by not being 5 degrees above normal. How can you break records when the weather wimps out on you?