Hello from new member.

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Krag Fan

Hello from new member.

Post by Krag Fan »

Just wanted to say Hello from the new guy on the block. Looking forward to reading up on the Krags and variations. I currently have an 1898 long rifle that I purchased 11years ago. Would eventually like to add a saddle ring carbine, a Norwegian and Dutch (oops corrected to Danish) to my collection. I have a couple of great Krag books and learned recently from a Krag forum member that Farmers book should be next for me. I’m always interested in learning from everyone’s experience. I will be asking questions from time to time. Thank you.

Also, if anyone has an extra Farmer’s book for sale, I’m interested.
Last edited by Krag Fan on Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Re: Hello from new member.

Post by FredC »

Welcome to the KCA! each Krag seem s to have a story to tell. Arsenal rebuilds, kitchen mechanics accidentally switching parts, and bubba sometimes does stuff.
We would love to see photos of yours when you get a chance. Others will know more about identifying parts and historical notes, but we all have fun here and learn things.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Krag Fan' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I hope you enjoy the content and discussion.

There is much to be learned by perusing back pages of older posts & threads. (Although some are damaged and content is lost).
The Forum is just part of the KCA content. There is also a Main Page. This can be accessed by going to Member News. There is a thread that provides a link to these KCA Pages, that contain some interesting content and photos.

Joe Farmer's book, "Volume 6", can be purchased directly from him. Order Information is available in the KCA Classifieds, on this page.
His writing style is personal, forensic, and different. He is difficult to follow at times and his work assumes the reader has a lot of Krag knowledge.

BTW - The Dutch did not adopt the Krag. You likely meant the Danish Krag.
Denmark was the first country to adopt and build a model of the Krag-Jorgensen rifle, in 1889.

We would certainly enjoy seeing pictures of your Model 1898 Krag rifle and maybe some that include portions of your feet!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Hello new member. This link gives info about Joe Farmer's book with ordering information. Send him an e-mail and see if he has one ready to send off to you. It will be interesting reading as discussed.

This is a great place to post your Krag pictures for some feedback. There are a variety of eyes here with different perspectives and opinions. Sometimes we agree on stuff! Usually that's a good thing.

Glad that Ned got things worked out for your signing up for the forum.

Just a note for readers: Krag fan is a Johnson Model 1941 collector and expert like we claim to be with Krags. He has helped me learn about the Johnsons enough to give me confidence in making my first purchase of one for my collection. So, the appreciation extends both ways. We all try to help each other enjoy the mil surp collecting hobby.

Welcome from Ohio!

Joe Farmer: http://www.5madfarmers.com/phpBB3_5mf/v ... ?f=43&t=96
Attachments
soldier-carbine.jpg
soldier-carbine.jpg (92.64 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't claim to be an 'expert'. I am a student of firearms and learn something new, everyday!

I happen to like Krag-Jorgensen rifles and carbines.

Krag Fan's confusion with Danish & Dutch is understandable, what with his focus on Johnson Rifles .... another capsule magazine rifle!

Krag Fan

Post by Krag Fan »

Thank you all, I did correct the Dutch to Danish, I think after 5:00 pm I shouldn’t do any math or try to use big words like Dutch or Danish! Thanks for the welcome, and I’ll post pictures tomorrow. Now let’s see if I posted this response correctly.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The first high-power rifle, I ever fired, was a Johnson semi-auto made for the Netherlands in .30-06.

I was 13 years old, weighed 130 lbs., and stood 5' 7". Firing from the sitting-position, the brisk functioning of the Johnson rifle practically rolled me on my back!

Quite a change from .22 cal. target rifles that I was use to!

btw - My first high-power shot was a Bulls-Eye - It's been often downhill ever since.

Krag Fan

Post by Krag Fan »

Great story and memories butlersrangers , especially with a bullseye! I didn’t get to shoot my first Johnson until I was in my 50’s. Love the unique action and history of them. I still consider myself a student learning from the masters, and after collecting them, I know enough to help out whenever I can.

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

Greetings Krag Fan,

I bought and shot my 1898 sporter conversion in the mid 1970’s and loved it. Fast forward to the present. I found an 1896 sport conversion a few years ago. Each is unique and this forum has been significant in my enjoyment of these arms. The history is well worth the study. The issues created by their persistence are being revealed and corrections to poor work made available through the auspices of these fine aficionados. I have a nice 110gr. load (thanks BR) and finally came up with numbers that corrected for a front rear sight mismatch that shot way low.

I am sure your enjoyment your rifle will be enhanced by these fine folks,

Rev. Rick