Sergeant York Issued a Krag?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Sergeant York Issued a Krag?

Post by Knute1 »

Doing some research (Krag surfing) I found where 5madfarmers answered a question in another forum. He stated that in Sergeant York's book that he had cleaned the cosmoline from a "Springfield" rifle, but York's unit didn't have 1903's. They were given M1917's before they went off overseas. The statement was made that York had actually cleaned a Krag rifle. So did Sergeant York train with a Krag rifle? Not far-fetched at all.

butlersrangers

Re: Sergeant York Issued a Krag?

Post by butlersrangers »

Since U.S. Krag-Jorgensen rifles are marked "Springfield Armory", there have been occasions when non-collectors have called them simply "Springfield Rifles".

I noticed this a few years back when reading some Police documentation connected with Bonnie and Clyde.
In the 1930's, many local Police departments were not very sophisticated in identifying arms and went by the receiver marking.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Context. Did Joe Give a page number reference?

Here is what the Unit History tells us.

Attachments
328th history.jpg
328th history.jpg (583.29 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here is a link to the gun board that 5madFarm responded to. There is other good info in it.

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/krag-var ... 74184.html

I am not sure what book is being referred to, possibly this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sergeant-York-Li ... =4&depth=1

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like the references to the 5 foot poles being "Camp Gordon 1917 Model rifles" and the "New Model" Camp Gordon rifles shaped from bed slats at the camp sawmills.

The author of the unit history was certainly familiar with the U.S. Model of 1917 rifle & bayonet!

BTW - At the Sgt. York Museum near Cumberland Mountain, Tennessee, they display both a U.S. Model 1917 rifle and a Model 1903 Springfield rifle, admitting that the actual rifle model Corporal Alvin York used has become a hot controversy.

I have no problem believing he used the U.S. Model of 1917. All the solid documentation supports it.
Attachments
sgt. york-3.jpg
sgt. york-3.jpg (224.02 KiB) Viewed 539 times