WAR in a nutshell

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

WAR in a nutshell

Post by butlersrangers »

Waiting & boredom, discomfort & being treated like crap, obsolete weapons, improper equipment for the intended theater of operations, and a good dose of propaganda to appeal to love of country and rally the masses!

BTW - That Ex-Confederate appears to be 'rolling his eyes' and not very 'reconstructed' to me.

Have I become too cynical in my old age? ..... and those California Boys were expecting Krags!
Attachments
now what have we gotten into.jpg
now what have we gotten into.jpg (525.15 KiB) Viewed 405 times
off to the tropics.jpg
off to the tropics.jpg (337.45 KiB) Viewed 405 times
unification.jpg
unification.jpg (309.49 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Culpeper

Re: WAR in a nutshell

Post by Culpeper »

butlersrangers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:59 pm Waiting & boredom, discomfort & being treated like crap, ...
I know it too well. Titan IIs 1977 - '81, Iraq 2005 - '08, Afghanistan, 2009 - '16, Africa 2017 - '22. Comes with the job, I reckon. There are always the good times even in the bad times. I guess it evens out in the end.

The Ohio 8th went in with Trapdoors. I have not found any written accounts where they wished they had Krags. I suppose they would have been like everyone wanting the latest and greatest shooting implement.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Capt. Frank

Re: WAR in a nutshell

Post by Capt. Frank »

Well into the 1890's, Springfield was still making Trapdoors from parts, and issuing them to Reserve units and National Guard. I have one with an 1884 receiver, 1888 rear sight, 1888 bayonet, and 1901 cartouche. We had one in our gun store, made with mixed parts, and an 1894 cartouche.
Reserves and Guard fought in the Spanish and American war, in Cuba with trapdoors, which is one reason American troops were out shot by Spanish Mausers. This partially led to the Krag's reputation of not being as able as the Mauser.