How are we to interpret this??

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Whig

How are we to interpret this??

Post by Whig »

So, a school teacher in Michigan passed out this assignment asking students to check off which of the following seven pictures represent primates. How would you have done?
Attachments
monkey.jpeg
monkey.jpeg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Re: How are we to interpret this??

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

is this school teacher still employed?

Whig

Post by Whig »

Don't know. I think she was actually promoted.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I see no good context.

If this actually happened, it is totally inappropriate and reasonably should be construed as insulting and racist.

If there was any intention to teach scientific classification and critical thinking, the "teacher" should have used her/his own photograph.

If the intention was to show an example of racism, it is an example, but should not have been used. It is just plain explosive!

If it was an attempt at humor, we are not amused.

I may be one, but I don't define myself as being a Primate or Caucasian (whatever that is). I'm a Krag Aficionado!

Whig

Post by Whig »

If this is real, I do consider it over the top. I like all kinds of humor but anything like this in a classroom is unacceptable. I haven't seen what happened to the teacher yet.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The incident is real and happened at a private school, (Roeper), which is located in the Michigan county where I live.

Not a Klan 'Hot Bed'. Roeper School was founded in 1941, by a Jewish couple who were refugees from Nazi Germany.
The private school is for 'gifted' students and located in West Bloomfield, one of the richest cities in Michigan's richest county.

My best friend's daughter is a graduate of Roeper and went on to graduate from Columbia.
'Roeper Parents' currently pay $30,000 a year tuition.

The student-body at Roeper is talented, multi-racial, and multi-cultural. Roeper parents are educated, deeply involved in the school and most are very affluent.

30 students were exposed to the 'Primates Question', that pictured President Obama. Students immediately reported the incident to the Roeper administration. The school cancelled classes for the day.

The female teacher was immediately suspended.
It appears she screwed up and did not review and vet 'college material' that she used in class, which contained the President Obama photo.

She was horrified when the picture came to her attention. The teacher immediately apologized. She is not defensive, accepts responsibility and regrets the negative publicity it has brought to Roeper School.

(I wish government officials were as honest, when they "F" up)!

Whig

Post by Whig »

So, she obtained this from another source and gave it to her students without looking at it? I don't believe that! How could you not see this if you hand it out and why would you ever give something to students without looking at it?

Thanks for the info, though. I was thinking it might have been faked. If she is really telling the truth, will she be rehired?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I remember Roeper Chuck. Great school too! The campus on Woodward in Bloomfield Hills was unique in that it has domed buildings... which are actually dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King! I'm shocked that this happened!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Would people still be offended if the picture was of an anonymous black man? Or how about an Asian man? A white man?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

Culpeper wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm Would people still be offended if the picture was of an anonymous black man? Or how about an Asian man? A white man?
Probably not if it was a white man. I had heard the question put forth as more of a joke years ago. If you were in a room with a chimp, a gorilla, and an orangutang, which is the most intelligent primate in the room? The answer should be you since human beans are classified as primates.

Since some racists have referred to Michelle Obama as having ape like features the use of the president was overtly racist. The teacher made a mistake by grabbing something that should have been instructive without seeing the poor taste of the one that organized that material.

My wife is currently in hospice again, so it looks like I may outlive her. If I do, the next wife will be someone who has some muscle tone like Michelle. I do not care for Michelle's politics but a woman with some muscle tone could be a helper in the business of life.