Krags in the Movies

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Krags in the Movies

Post by Culpeper »

Looks like I have to re-create the list. I am not certain if this one is one the old thread so here goes.

Mesdames et Messieurs! For your viewing pleasure and to satisfy your Krag curiosity I give you Hell's Angels from 1930! It is found at 19:36.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhyNpM5FKNE

Attachments
Hells Angels 1930.jpg
Hells Angels 1930.jpg (95.72 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Re: Krags in the Movies

Post by Culpeper »

Flight by Frank Capra 1929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bezKvD3b2sI

Attachments
Krags in the movies - Flight by Capra 1929.jpg
Krags in the movies - Flight by Capra 1929.jpg (101.87 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Amigo (2010)

US Troops in the Phillipines War movie. ...and krags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Gl7uoU7hc

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

One of the great French Foreign Legion movies. Beau Geste (1939)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DnWtIbTgnY
Attachments
Krags in the Movies - Beau Geste 1939.jpg
Krags in the Movies - Beau Geste 1939.jpg (155.33 KiB) Viewed 2230 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The puzzled vetran is thinking: "All these bodies, how the hell am I going to pull-off a bunch of Viking Funerals in the middle of the Desert? ... and how did this foreign rifle get here? ... and how am I going to fix my bayonet, 'Rosalie', to a Krag-Jorgensen"? :x :roll: :?
Attachments
Beau Krag.jpg
Beau Krag.jpg (133.55 KiB) Viewed 2208 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mapping Fort Zinderneuf:

San Diego State University Alums recently located, explored, and did an Archaeological Map of the 1939 Beau Geste film site.

It is on Federal property and the shifting sands and laws frustrate doing a 'dig' or removing artifacts.

They did locate cartridge cases. The one in their photograph appears to be a .30-40 case.
Attachments
fort_foundation.jpg
fort_foundation.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
fort_shell.jpg
fort_shell.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The first Beau Geste movie was a 1926 silent film starring Ronald Coleman. It was filmed near Yuma, Arizona, in the Imperial Valley.
An oasis was built replete with concrete palm trees. A 'Fort Zinderneuf' was constructed and burned down during filming, as part of the story.

The 1926 film sets were built using Fordson Tractors and military like logistics. Movie scenes show Berthier rifles and rather nice uniforms.
Attachments
buttercup valley 1926 Beau Geste.jpg
buttercup valley 1926 Beau Geste.jpg (822.79 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
ronald coleman 1926.jpg
ronald coleman 1926.jpg (548.55 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The 1939, Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, Robert Preston - "Beau Geste" was filmed at the same 1926 location, with a new Fort Zinderneuf, apparently built on the ruins of the 1926 fort. The same concrete treed oasis was used.

Some 1939 movie scenes show Garry Cooper carrying and firing a Krag. A movie still picture shows Milland and Cooper holding Krags, while Preston has a Berthier.

In 1940, some San Diego State college students occupied the fort and filmed a satire/spoof titled "Beau Geste".
Armed with .22 caliber rifles and improvised costumes, the students portrayed the Legionaries, as well as, the Arab Marauders.
They were successful in burning down part of the fort

Paramount Studios threatened the students with legal action. An agreement was reached that decreed the Student Spoof Movie copies would be burned after three public showings. (Some of the student 'actors' are still alive and in their 90's).

A documentary film, "The Lost Remake of Beau Geste", has been recently done. It relates the story of the students and their Beau Geste spoof. It has created a renewed interest in the Paramount movie location.
Fort Zinderneuf appears to have been bulldozed down, without ceremony, in the 1940's.

A recent photo at the site shows quite a pile of spent brass, (8mm Lebel, .30-40, and some .30-06). Looks like some pistol cartridge-cases, too.

p.s. My favorite version is the Marty Feldman/ Michael York movie, "The Last Remake of Beau Geste". The Brits had the good sense to film their movie in Spain!
Attachments
beau geste 1939 gary with Krag.jpg
beau geste 1939 gary with Krag.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
ft zinderneuf.png
ft zinderneuf.png (330.27 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Lost Remake of bj.jpg
Lost Remake of bj.jpg (255 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
zinderneuf today.jpg
zinderneuf today.jpg (618.93 KiB) Viewed 2189 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Upon an in depth review of 55 Days at Peking I come to the pertinent observation that there are zero Krags in that film. Lee Rifles, yes. Lebels, yes. Mavbe a Martini-Henry. In the end when the Russians show up even Mosin-Nagants.

But no Krags, not even ones in the Chinese hoard background where you might expect to see them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"55 Days in Peking" was filmed by Allied Artists in Spain. I suppose this had a lot of impact on the movie prop companies that were used and the arms that were available.

Looking at 'movie stills' there is quite an array of Mausers, Magazine Lee-Enfields, Lebels, Carcanos, Mosins, and Trap-Door Springfields in the production.
There is no appearance of Krags on the listed arms, that enthusiasts have noticed in the movie.

The "U.S. Marines" in the production are armed with Magazine Lee-Enfield Mark-I rifles. This 1963 movie was produced on an epic scale.
In my opinion, they tried to make the guns kind of right. Winchester-Lee 'straight-pull' rifles would have been cool, but impossible, unless mocked-up out of rubber!
Attachments
Magazine Lee-Enfield Mark-I.jpg
Magazine Lee-Enfield Mark-I.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Lebel rifles.jpg
Lebel rifles.jpg (80.87 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Mag. L-E and Carcanos.jpg
Mag. L-E and Carcanos.jpg (168.29 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Boxer trap-doors.jpg
Boxer trap-doors.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 2136 times