Detroit's notorious historic slide

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Detroit's notorious historic slide

Post by butlersrangers »

The DNR has had to 'close-down' the recently reopened Belle Isle giant slide, two days in a row, due to people going airborne.

The attempt to open the historic structure, (built in 1973), has been frustrated by not getting the wax quite right!
(I imagine the cloth sacks, they have the riders use, have something to do with it)?
The News Videos are hilarious!

"Wax On Wax Off", as Mr. Miyagi says.

Detroit just has a way of being .... well .... 'funny'. Must be the water!

Back in the 1970's a Recreation Dept. employee was stabbed and spent 5 days in the hospital by a woman, who he confronted for not paying the 15-cent ride-fee.
A couple years later, the same employee shot and killed a 'line-jumping' guy, who didn't pay the fee. Damn right!

It costs a $1.00, now, but you get to go airborne in a body bag! PURE MICHIGAN

(Heck, when I was a kid, 'going airborne and bouncing into others' would have been a cool part of the experience. No wonder my knees are bad, and I ache in strange places)!
Attachments
Detroit death trap.jpg
Detroit death trap.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Detroit slide 3.jpg
Detroit slide 3.jpg (625.27 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Detroit slide2.jpg
Detroit slide2.jpg (120.73 KiB) Viewed 333 times

FredC

Re: Detroit's notorious historic slide

Post by FredC »

I saw this post before it was complete and wondered how a slide could be notorious. One attempted murder and one killing for $.15, wowsers! Makes you think about all the blows that were traded, plus heated arguments over the years that were not reported.

They could have eliminated the need for special waxing by constructing it from Teflon sheet. Teflon on Teflon is as close to frictionless as you can get. So a Teflon coated body bag would have been the cat's meow. Probably could charge triple for that. Might need FAA clearance for that though, people would be getting way airborne.
Last edited by FredC on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

:P Texas could take a page from Detroit's 'book' and build some giant slides on the southern border along the Rio Grande.

Apprehended Illegals could be outfitted in Teflon coated 'gunny sacks' and given a bumpy 'gravity flight' back across the Rio Grande.
It would probably boost the morale of the Border Patrol and Texas Police Agencies!

Who needs a 'Wall' when you can have 'Giant Detroit Slides'?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Pretty funny. Probably could charge money to watch that.

A couple of weeks ago there was a local newspaper article about county official declaring a local disaster because of illegal aliens. Could not figure what that was all about till I went grocery shopping the next week. There were 5 or 6 large groups of aliens in the store. Shopping as groups to trying and figure out what stuff to buy (choices are alien to them). Store was out of a lot of things I normally get, but that is a sort of covid thing but large groups of visitors does not help. Not sure about the term Illegal alien anymore as they are given temporary papers till their court date. Sure have a lot of money to pay for the coyotes and set up living when they get here.
Some of those in that 18 wheeler that died had paid for luxury accommodations (about $9000 for that part of the trip) as they crossed Mexico. Safe houses had stocked refrigerators, even had beer provided. Then they got to the border and got stuffed into a trailer and died. Paid a bunch for that also.
Would be interesting to follow the money on this.