What gives you the willies?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
reiver

Re: What gives you the willies?

Post by reiver »

That's pretty cool, or uh, hot. Nice size booger.

FredC

Post by FredC »

2 hours later so he was cooler than the ground. Need to catch one right away to see if they are warmer than the surroundings. Not a bugger, smashed his head with Vibram sole of size 12 work boot. The wack behind the head with a light twig left him looking like he might not be dead.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

.... and I thought Baaacula was a Greek dessert!
Attachments
Baaacula.jpg
Baaacula.jpg (93.33 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FredC

Post by FredC »

More willies stuff.

Since the start of this thread I have found more than a dozen scorpions on the floor. Most were dead or dying. I spray a synthetic pyrethroid by the doors about once a month. Makes scorpions very sick crossing it. Another one fell into the newly cleaned light fixture. Found out it takes them about a week to die. Explains why there are so many partial ones in the fixtures. They eat what they can of the ones that proceeded them.

One thing that used to bother me was unknown things fall on you when you open a door. especially at night. Figured out the objects are not scorpions but geckos. The enemy of my enemy is my friend so anything that eats scorpions or the bugs that scorpions eat is my friend. I almost have my wife convinced on this one. I pointed out the Bible says that geckos live in the houses of kings. And no, none of the local geckos have tried to sell me insurance.

Speaking of the wife I carried a rattle snake rattle into the house yesterday. The fellow buying my hay killed it. His cousin had just picked up a round bale with the tractor and the rattler came right at him. He had a stick in his hand and nailed it just behind the head, then cut off his rattles. My wife did not know what it (just the rattle) was, after explaining I had to get rid of it right away and I will to be allowed to touch her for a week. Some people.

The local newspaper had a headline "Watch out snakes are on the move!", with a photo of a dead mama snattlerake with eight dead babies. Not sure if it is just western diamond backs or all snatlerakes, but these are born alive not hatched. On the out doors page another article "Watch where ya step!"
Turns out the paper's editor had a cat bring in a baby rattler and was playing with it inside. So another photo, made it the rattler edition. Elaine the paper's editor lives just down the road.

On the attached photo notice the color of the floor and scorpion. Color blind me really has a hard time seeing these things inside. If anyone else is dealing with scorpions the local striped ones really fluoresce bright if you shine a UV flashlight at them. I am not sure if this is true of all or just the locals.
Attachments
NewsPaperRS.jpg
NewsPaperRS.jpg (313 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
ScorpionOnFloor.jpg
ScorpionOnFloor.jpg (355.69 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Answered the question - a snattlerake on the move is warmer than his surroundings. About 15 minutes after sundown, we met. Put him in a bucket and transported him to the house and took the photo. Photo was within 10 minutes of his demise. For reference it was about 47 inches feet long and fatter than most.
Attachments
Snattlerake11-6-226pm2.JPG
Snattlerake11-6-226pm2.JPG (23.12 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

FredC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:25 am
One thing that used to bother me was unknown things fall on you when you open a door. especially at night. Figured out the objects are not scorpions but geckos. The enemy of my enemy is my friend so anything that eats scorpions or the bugs that scorpions eat is my friend. I almost have my wife convinced on this one. I pointed out the Bible says that geckos live in the houses of kings. And no, none of the local geckos have tried to sell me insurance.
Well, those things that fall on you when you go through a door can be scorpions! I found this one trapped between the door and the weather strip a couple of days ago.

IMG_20230527_133935.jpg
IMG_20230527_133935.jpg (816.11 KiB) Viewed 873 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Things that sting, bite, and strike all make me anxious.

But, .... stupid rules and over-regulation give me the most willies!
Attachments
No Yahtzee.jpg
No Yahtzee.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 860 times
pride.jpg
pride.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 860 times

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

CHIGGERS!

FredC

Danger from above, now with pictures.

Post by FredC »

Now I have pictures from the local news channel showing an interview of a woman in Silsbee Texas. She was mowing her lawn when a snake fell from the sky and wrapped around her arm. She was trying to shake it off as the snake was striking at her face. She had some bruising on her arm as from the snake wrapping so tightly. THEN the hawk that dropped the snake attacked trying to retrieve its lunch. Her arm had many cuts and lacerations from the hawk trying to pull the snake off. Eventually the hawk did wrest the snake off and flew away with it.

Right after that a meteorite hit their car as her husband was driving her to the hospital.

I made that part up there was no meteor.

I have seen hawks get target fixation to the exclusion of what would be a dangerous situation. I was shredding a field with a 100 horse tractor moving about 8 miles an hour when a red-tailed hawk dived on something right in front of the left front tire. I hit the brakes and clutch at the same time and stopped about 6 inches short of rolling over him.

So now instead of watching for rattlesnakes just on the ground we have to look up so we can dodge them. More willies!
DangerFromTheSky2RS.jpg
DangerFromTheSky2RS.jpg (532.86 KiB) Viewed 704 times
DangerFromTheSky1rs.jpg
DangerFromTheSky1rs.jpg (722.18 KiB) Viewed 704 times
DangerFromTheSky3.jpg
DangerFromTheSky3.jpg (541.13 KiB) Viewed 704 times