I'm Amused

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

I'm Amused

Post by butlersrangers »

I bought an old 3/4" Weaver side-mount on ebay, last week, just to have a spare.

It was a good buy and the package promptly arrived yesterday.

I recognized the Seller's name immediately and sent him a note.
(He replied and confirmed his identity).

Nick Stroebel's book is a great reference on antique commercial gunsights. He seems a fine gentleman!
Attachments
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG (124.67 KiB) Viewed 563 times
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG (238.46 KiB) Viewed 563 times
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG (270.38 KiB) Viewed 563 times

FredC

Re: I'm Amused

Post by FredC »

It looks like you have a new resource for helping you in your study of aftermarket Krag sights.

viewtopic.php?p=41630#p41630

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I'm interested in the rifles and the scope in the picture on the cover of the book. The lower rifle is one of the earliest Winchester 52s, called by aficionados a pre-A. Probably a "speed lock". I think the earliest ones had a different striker knob. I started smallbore shooting with a similar rifle in 1958.

The upper rifle is another Winchester 52, but a much later variant. It might be a 52D, the only one lacking the magazine release button. The bracket on the left rear of the receiver is the base for an iron sight, not connected to the scope, a vintage Lyman Super Target Spot.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Here's my "speed lock". Note there's no safety rocker. (Safety is a wing-type on the left side).
Win52speed.jpg
Win52speed.jpg (251.13 KiB) Viewed 507 times
(100-yard prone match target from a day when I yanked only two 9's.) :roll:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice model 52 Winchester!

I had a beauty like Parashooter's, with the 'speedlock' and early lever-safety.
I lucked into a bargain on a Unertl 'target scope' & mounts, which looked and performed beautifully on the Winchester.

It quickly became a gun-closet Queen and never got played with. It was too nice, and I didn't know anyone shooting .22's at long range.

In a moment of weakness and faulty judgement, I traded it for a rifle that I do not remember and no longer have!

I can be pretty stupid!

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Nice old Speed Lock. When did the military type rear sight disappear from the factory 52s?

A tiny group of us elderly flatulents shoot .22 LRs at long range every Tuesday. The old scopes with externally adjustable mounts will easily adjust to 200 yards. Many modern scopes don't have enough clicks. But my STS has enough clicks for 300, but the scope hits the barrel. I need higher mounts if I'm going to shoot at 300. I've tried it using an offset hold. It worked on a gong target, but I couldn't find an offset reference point that was right for a paper target.