Armistice Day

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Armistice Day

Post by Culpeper »

This coming Friday take a minute to remember not only our dead of the Great War but say a prayer for the Canadians of Vimy Ridge and all of their war dead.

Capt. Culpeper
formerly of the KCA Africa Corps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9--M_tB-4S4
Attachments
Old Glory and the Maple Leaf.jpg
Old Glory and the Maple Leaf.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Knute1

Re: Armistice Day

Post by Knute1 »

I started watching the video and will need to set more time aside, but it is some good history. I have not read much on the Canadian contribution to the war effort and this will most assuredly fill some of that gap.

I was fortunate to have known a WWI veteran from my small home town (less than 500). He was the village barber as his dad once was. In the 60's he was in his 60's, still cutting hair. He always had good stories, but never about the war. He did have the shell of a hand grenade on his mantel and answered what it was when I asked him about when I was around 8. I could walk to the barber shop at that age by myself with a buck fifty. It was easier being a kid back then.

In the last year I had researched what unit he was in and see that he was in a supply train. I found out that he had suffered from "shell shock".