Channel Lock pliers

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Channel Lock pliers

Post by FredC »

Just saw an ad from my usual tool supplier for Channel Lock 2 size display card. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/ ... %20Viewers Made me think of a new advertising angle. "Unorthodox uses for our pliers."
That evening i met up with that last snattlerake viewtopic.php?p=42818#p42818 I had nothing with me as I had hurried out just at sundown to switch the irrigation sprinklers. I did grab the Channel Locks that I carry on the 4 wheeler as I walked the fence line to switch the valves. Some of the valves get stuck and take more than 2 hands to move. The rattle snake was moving at a fast clip to get away from me and the only thing I had was the pliers. I threw them and connected pretty good. Snake was still there when i got back with the fence stake.
I can just see Channel Lock having a contest for unusual and odd uses for their tools. Might not get first place, maybe an honorable mention?
Attachments
ChannelLocks.jpg
ChannelLocks.jpg (351.94 KiB) Viewed 358 times

butlersrangers

Re: Channel Lock pliers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dang Fred, you must have exceptional eye-hand coordination.

I would have missed and the snake would have my 'Channel-Lock' Pliers!

King carp

Post by King carp »

My uncle called them "pump handle pliers" and used them to crack open nuts.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Cracking pecans with Channel Locks or larger slip joint pliers here is sort of second nature. Then I thought of why it might be unusual in the rest of the world.

A lot of us grew up using the York or Texan pecan sheller in these parts. My grandmother had one like the photo but is was an original one with the aluminum fragment catcher. The one in the photo is a much later one that my wife bought or someone gave to us. After you have used one of these things with the sharp blades to shell your pecans, the channel locks are a fair substitute if you cannot find your "Texan".
Attachments
TexanNutSheller1.jpg
TexanNutSheller1.jpg (313.64 KiB) Viewed 309 times
TexanNutSheller.jpg
TexanNutSheller.jpg (609.2 KiB) Viewed 309 times