Cold Snap in Detroit

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Cold Snap in Detroit

Post by butlersrangers »

We are getting a bit of ice and snow in the "D".

But, not as bad as Buffalo, the "Bills" had to come to Detroit, Sunday, and play the Cleveland "Browns" at Ford Field.

Strange Happenings in Detroit!
Attachments
titanic.jpg
titanic.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 401 times

FredC

Re: Cold Snap in Detroit

Post by FredC »

Before this last winter blast, we were warmer than normal. The day before this thing started I remember a weatherman pointing out that a tongue of warm air extended from here up to Minneapolis/St Paul, we had 70 degrees for a morning low and they had 68. It has gone downhill from then. From 10 to 20 degrees above normal to the same below normal with overcast sky since then. We have had a little rain and the grass could really grow if we caught a few inches of sunshine soon.
Almost had a little sun yesterday, I opened up the blinds to let in a little warmth. I turned the A/C off and heat on in the shop for the first time this morning.

I was standing in line at a convivence store Saturday, and one fellow in front of me told someone next to him he had been up north where it was 20 below and our 40 with blowing mist was harder to take. That does not seem to make sense to me, but I have not experienced 20 below so what do I know.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My trip to the Alamo, about 4 years ago, featured ice and 30 degree temperatures.

With the icy wind coming from the north, it was attention getting.

"Texas Cold" is serious stuff!
Attachments
USS Texas.jpg
USS Texas.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

That Lake Effect snowstorm in Buffalo wasn't all that much worse than normal. Going to forestry college at Syracuse, my new wife & I lived in a converted summer cottage on the shore of Oneida Lake, located to get snow from Lake Effect storms coming off both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. We got hit on the Friday before the first Superbowl game, just barely made it home. The snow buried our '63 Plymouth Valiant convertible. Still snowing on Sunday. My wife & I snowshoed to the neighborhood bar to watch the first Superbowl on their amazingly big 23" color TV. Sausages, some sort of Polish casserole, and Utica Club beer.

After the game & full of beer, we snowshoed back home. The snow load had pulled the front porch away from the rest of the building by about 2 inches. Framing on the front of the structure was partially crushed. My wife phoned the landlord. But the landlord had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. If we wanted to buy the place, the price was right. It was time to move. That's a much longer story.

Looked at the place on Google Earth. Now it's just a patch of woods.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Hey DR,
I think the record breaking aspect of this last snowfall was how much snow fell so early. We have a month before winter is even here. When I was in New York for training on a machine I think I heard locals say that they can get snow any month of the year. Down here we can get to 100F any month of the year. In 96 it was 100 on February 26 in San Antonio. Their official thermometer is at the north side airport where it is a couple degrees cooler than the rest of the area.

FredC

Post by FredC »

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. I thought that last cold snap would never end. Misting raining and the temperature for many days the temperature did not vary more than a couple of degrees from 40. Now we have had a few days of sunshine, this morning I cleared a fence line where we are going to put a water line. It is 69 degrees and I wish I had a jacket on as the thorns cut up my arms pretty good. That is the other reason our cold gets to us. The day before a cold snap the low will be almost 70 with a high in the 80s then the bottom falls out. It does not usually stay cold as long as that last snap so we do not have real winter clothes either. We got almost 3 inches of rain while it lasted, the cows should be happy.