Gun trivia

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Gun trivia

Post by FredC »

Gun trivia in the news:
Wall Street Journal (I assume http://247wallst.com/ is the WSJ) researched versatile game cartridges to determine the 15 best all round big to small game cartridges, seems one of their constraints was using factory loads. #15 was the .450 Bushmaster, odd choice to me. My first guess on the most versatile was a toss-up between 270 and 30-06 (2 peas in the same pod). Their #2 was 270 and #1 was 30-06.

Since no one has commented yet, I will addition, in the middle of the recommendations was 45/70. I was carrying my 45/70 around hunting pigs and would not think of shooting armadillos or other small critters with it. 50 or 60 grains of powder and a 300 grain slug makes my arm hurt thinking about it. When I see a pig the thought of recoil does not even cross my mind. Squirrels and other small critters, yeah, I will think about it and flinch. My dad's plinker load in' 06 was a hundred grain bullet with 20 grains of Unique, like shooting a 22 rimfire.

I think I heard Mr. Biden say this morning that he wants Congress to ban all semi auto sales. Not just those evil assault weapons but all semi autos? I will probably see it on the news again and figure out exactly what he said. Then Beto O can come get my 10/22 Ruger, I guess. That will make the world a safer place. If that does not fix things next it will be kitchen knives (think Moscow, Idaho). In Boy Scouts they told us that a dull knife was a dangerous one, some of these guys definitely are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Quote "The idea that we can buy semi-automatic weapons is sick"

Funny that when mentioning weapons of war these people never mention Krags, Springfields, and Enfields which really are/were weapons of war. I had a friend over helping me with a phone situation and he was up on a ladder next to the electronics and asked about that rifle. I told him it was a Krag a real "military weapon". The very best the USA had in the late 1890s.

Knute1

Re: Gun trivia

Post by Knute1 »

Well.....back in the day, some thought the Krag rifle even if used by the military was barbaric. Let alone in civilian hands. Here is an article re-published in a Hardware magazine in 1895, which was originally from the "Chicago Record". Yes, from Chicago, a liberal bastion for many years.
BarbaricKragA.png
BarbaricKragA.png (165.37 KiB) Viewed 253 times
BarbaricKragB.png
BarbaricKragB.png (205.84 KiB) Viewed 253 times
When America fought for it's independence the flintlock rifle and smoothbore musket were the arms of choice. These aren't even considered to be firearms by the Federal Government any longer. I imagine that when a laser gun that will travel outside of the earth's atmosphere is developed and in civilian hands that the sem-auto rifle will no longer be considered a firearm. That might be a little too far fetched.

Cain could have killed Abel with a rock. We use rocks to border flower plots at my house.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Steel capped? I knew about the cupri-nickel (copper nickel alloy), it caused major problems at 30-06 velocities. Gun Digest magazine did an extensive article on the fouling when bullets velocity was increased. That lead to our gilding metal alloys used today. Sensationalism sells, I guess.

What do you think about 45/70s and 375 magnums on small game?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rudyard Kipling often featured firearm details in his stories and poems.
Wounds, death, and the aftermath were not pretty.
Attachments
kipling.jpg
kipling.jpg (156.39 KiB) Viewed 246 times
Boxer-cartridge-for-Snider.jpg
Boxer-cartridge-for-Snider.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 246 times