Not For Cat Lovers

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Not For Cat Lovers

Post by Knute1 »

I knew that cadavers were used for the study of wounds from a Krag Jorgensen rifle. But I didn't know that live cats were used and compared to rusty nail wounds. Here is an article from the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, 1903. I'm sure they used feral nuisance cats. I can picture young boys catching them and getting small change for each cat from some medical institution.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Bo ... frontcover

butlersrangers

Re: Not For Cat Lovers

Post by butlersrangers »

Now that really crosses the feline! :twisted:

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I'm not so sure they used feral cats and I'm reasonably sure that such goings-on stopped in the early 1900s. In 1970, I lived in Blacksburg, VA, home of Virginia Tech, with a lot of biological-based teaching and research activity. People's pet cats frequently disappeared. I was in Davis, CA, home of U.C. Davis, in 1988. Lots of student protests over use of animals for testing. Pets, not just cats, disappeared regularly.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Genentech has a huge facility off I505 just north of Vacaville CA. I have never been inside, and I'd NEVER want to go. People who have visited tell me they are doing things to live cats, and other critters, in there that I'll not describe, but that they cannot unsee. Apparently the lab would make Dr. Mengele quite proud. I know it is all being done in the name of "science" and "research", and is infinitely preferable to performing such atrocities on humans, but still . . .