Ongoing Auction

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Dick Hosmer

Re: Ongoing Auction

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Oh really - what kind of problems? I am a TOTAL newbie at auctions, and just assume I will be raped with extra charges for this and that, but there are a couple of parts that I need for a "mockup" of an EXTREMELY rare trapdoor I am constructing for fun, and cannot just let them slip away by not bidding. I have a passing acquaintance with Jack Lewis and he did answer a couple of early questions for me.

I am a bit confused on #41. When multiple pics are provided they are usually different views of the same item. There, the two views show a huge difference in quantity - which governs? Been waiting two days for an answer . . . . If I were younger, I'd bid on the lot - there's a few bucks to be made there - but, as stated, I'm not.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Private message sent.

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:54 pm I am a TOTAL newbie at auctions, and just assume I will be raped with extra charges for this and that
My rule of thumb is to add 1/3 of the hammer price to itself to get my actual cost. I.e. if I win something for $3000, add another grand to the total.

One key is to always try to bid on the auctioneer's platform. A third party aggregator is good for finding items, but the buyer's premium is usually about 5% higher if you bid on the third party platform.

I usually try to avoid auctions unless there's nowhere else to get something, but as my latest acquisitions have been somewhat...um, eclectic, I've had no choice. :P

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Whig, how did you do on the sights? There were a LOT of them - certainly a few bucks to be made there.

I won the one thing I wanted (40) cheap, and did not allow myself to get caught up the fever over a related lot (37) that went WAAY too high.

Now all that needs to be done is survive the post-bid malarkey and raping.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Dick, I was quite busy today and didn't even realize the auction was over. Just checked and they went for way more than I bid. Total of around $700! It would have been nice but I didn't need them that bad. I searched the pictures very carefully and really didn't see any valuable ones. Just a lot of them, as you said.

Great that you got what you wanted at a reasonable price. Hopefully you should get them with little trouble. Now you can work more on your project. Thanks for reminding me to check on the sights!