Charles Hosmer Morse

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Littlejohn

Charles Hosmer Morse

Post by Littlejohn »

Any relation to Dick Hosmer?

Charles Hosmer Morse (September 23, 1833 – May 5, 1921) was an American businessman and philanthropist. Morse was born at St. Johnsbury, Vermont.[1] He graduated from St. Johnsbury Academy in 1850. Shortly after graduation he joined his uncle, Zelotus Hosmer, in the Boston office of E. & T. Fairbanks, marketing platform scales. He was promoted to the New York office, and then to Chicago, eventually establishing a branch that would go on to be known as Fairbanks-Morse corporation. He was also an early resident of and influential figure in the city of Winter Park, Florida.[2]

Morse was a prominent developer in Chicago, for whom Morse Avenue in far-north Rogers Park takes its name.

Last edited by Littlejohn on Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Charles Hosmer Morse

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Interesting. Thomas Hosmer came to Hartford CT in 1832; his brother James (my ancestor) came to Concord MA 1635. There were Hosmers all over New England, including a branch in Vermont. ALL people in the US with that surname are related. I'll see if I can find a reference - hard to miss "Zelotus"!! I have a LOT of data on the James branch, almost nothing on the Thomas side.